• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm NOT Supposed to Take Biologics So Why Vedolizumab?

Hi
I've had Crohn's for at least 25 years so almost my whole life. Have been on everything except the biologics since I have a precursor to Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma and MGUS (can turn into Multiple mMyeloma... bone cancer). Because of not responding to any drugs and having iliocolic resection 2 years ago and now here I go again sick as a dog....my GI wants to put me on Vedolizumab. But in reading about it, it's a biologic and I'm afraid it will set off the type of Lymphoma I have a precursor to or another form. Any insight would be so helpful and appreciated immensely.
Wishing everyone well in this journey!
Babs

From my understanding it's supposed to be different. I'd call Entyvio directly, they have a great staff of nurses and doctors who can answer your questions.

I don't know anything particular but my doc told me it was "gut specific" so it had less risks. Maybe ask your doc to explain the rational behind the recommendation.

Thank you so much for your replies. I guess besides my other issues I'm really scared of the side effects especially the neurological one that can effect your brain permanently.
Also has anyone having or had success with this drug?

Thank you so much for your replies. I guess besides my other issues I'm really scared of the side effects especially the neurological one that can effect your brain permanently.
Also has anyone having or had success with this drug?
I was doing so much better but I eventually built up antibodies and had an allergic reaction. But it took about 3 months before I saw a difference. I wish I could still take it :(

So sorry about your allergic reaction. Can I ask what happened and how was it taken care of? Did they put you on something else? I so hope that you are doing ok now.
xoxo

So sorry about your allergic reaction. Can I ask what happened and how was it taken care of? Did they put you on something else? I so hope that you are doing ok now.
xoxo
I ended up in the hospital, had hives, swelling of the throat, unbearable pain and aches, fever, chills. They kept me for about three days until the symptoms went away. They kept me drugged up on benadryl and pain meds.
I'm on methotrexate now, have been since May but it seems like it's starting to fade. Idk what else to do.

Oh no! I'm really sorry. This disease and all the meds are really scary!!! I don't know what to do anymore. Surgery was going to put me in remission along time (Not!!!) since I did whatever meds I could take to no avail and also developed serious side effects that I have to live with now. Now doc wants to put me on Entyvio and I'm scared to death. I always seem to have serious side effects to all the other meds except one that now has lost its effect...Pentasa. I am at my wits end as I can't imagine how everyone else is handling this.

Entyvio is a biologic (like the more common antiTNF agents) in the sense that steak and a banana are both foods. Entyvio works on a different pathway in the body than the other biologic agents. (It inhibits adhesion and migration of leukocytes (WBCs) into the GI tract by preventing the alpha4beta7 integrin subunit from binding to mucosal cell adhesion molecule-1 (MAdCAM-1). whereas remicade, humira, etc work on T-cell cytokines/inflammatory pathways and target anti TNF). Basically, since it doesn't increase Tcell function, the risk of lymphoma is absent with entyvio (at least so far-it is a newer agent).
http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...b-better-for-uc-than-crohns-disease-in-trials

Thanks so much for your response.How long have you been on it and have you experienced any side effects so far? Are you able to live a fairly normal life on it?
Do you have Crohn's or UC? Sorry for all the questions but having Crohn's is so frustrating,nerve racking, and destroying my life right now. Oh and my insurance company is giving a hard time approving it. Taking weeks already and they need more info from doc.
Thanks in Advance!
Babs

Holy delayed response batman--sorry:shifty:! I'm not on Entyvio, we decided to go with Humira instead for my CD which, thank goodness, is starting to work. How's it going with the Entyvio? any progress?