• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is laughter really the best medicine?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Laughter for treatment can mean more than just going "ha ha ha" every 15 minutes. It can mean being loose and relaxed. It can mean enjoying life and not worrying or stressing too much about anything. It can mean finding the humour in your situation and in life, no matter what is going on.

Do you think that the combination of all these things are the recipe for success in keeping your condition controlled? I think a lot of people agree that stress is not good for controlling flairs, but would you say that "laughter" really is the best medicine?

S

scottishgirl

well i agree, when i was in australia and was happy and relaxed with no stress or bills to pay etc i had very little symptoms, just the odd twinge when i ate too much, two days after getting back here i was flaring. coincodence maybe but i like to think all the above was the reason

J

jojo_bunny

I certainly agree with you, laughter is the best medicine :D . And I think it counts for everything in life - work, illness, relationships, anything. If you can have a wee laugh despite of your troubles, they won't seem half as bad.

I think negative people who can't laugh at things will always suffer worse.

P

plagueius

jojo_bunny said:
I certainly agree with you, laughter is the best medicine :D . And I think it counts for everything in life - work, illness, relationships, anything. If you can have a wee laugh despite of your troubles, they won't seem half as bad.

I think negative people who can't laugh at things will always suffer worse.

AGREED:thumright:

Yeah of course. When your mind or muscles get tense then your insides also get tense. At least that is what would make sense to me. Your body is naturally supposed to be relaxed so if you take it out of a state of rexament then you also off set the rest of your body. In a way it is sort of like the Chinese with Chi. If you have good chi in one part off your body then it will cause another part of your body to have good chi as well. I hope you guys understand what I am talking about.

I may have to re-write tomorrow or post again.

B

btcrv

Before my Crohn's went into remission (thank goodness it did) I was in the hospital before finals week was over EVERY semester. I am convinced that my flares were stress induced. I try as hard as I can to look at the bright side :)

A

andilynn09

I do believe that having a way to deal with everyday stress makes a HUGE difference with this disease. I know when I first tried coming back to work (911 dispatcher) after my diagnosis, the difference between the way I felt at the beginning of the night and after my shift was over was amazing...felt like i'd been hit by a truck after busy nights, and I know it was from the stress.
I was diagnosed in late March, and we had already previously scheduled a vacation to the Dominican...we contemplated cancelling it, but I had been improving and thought the time away may help. It was the best thing I could have done.....I felt almost normal the entire week, and I believe it was due to finally being able to rest, relax, and think about something other than my disease. As soon as we got back, I started back-sliding again and have yet to get back to feeling as good as I did on vacation. Doing nothing but laying by the pool and beach could be the best medicine I've had...too bad we can't bottle it. :)

J

Jonny

Keeping positive and laughing with friends and a good support system has helped me get into remission faster in the past.I agree with what Jeff said too about the chi .It helps stimulate the blood flow to all parts of the body.

Heres a link about chakra laughter http://www.joyofkidding.com/tlc/chakralaughter.html