• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IVF/Humira results?

Hi,

I'm going through IVF this month, slated for retrieval later this week. We are freezing any embryos, as my RE has advised surrogacy. However, I would like to try to carry myself, and my GI and Colo rectal surgeon have both said it would be okay, providing I had a C-Section. I currently have two perianal setons, but other than that I'm in good health. The only medicine I take is bi-weekly Humira, which I have been taking for over 10 years. I have had extensive surgeries on my stomach, so I don't know how internal damage/scar tissue/etc. would play into a pregnancy.

Looking for advice/others' experiences with IVF while on Humira. My doctor has had many cases of the embryo not implanting or resulting in miscarriage and believes Humira is the problem, which is why she's advising surrogacy.

Thank you!!

my little penguin

Staff member
I see methotrexate still in your signature?
Is that still something you are taking ?
Methotrexate can cause deformities
It's a class D drug

Ds takes it and we were told it has to be stopped for at least three months prior to "trying"
He is still a kid so not an issue yet but ....

Sorry no experience with ivf and humira
Good luck

Hi,

I'm going through IVF this month, slated for retrieval later this week. We are freezing any embryos, as my RE has advised surrogacy. However, I would like to try to carry myself, and my GI and Colo rectal surgeon have both said it would be okay, providing I had a C-Section. I currently have two perianal setons, but other than that I'm in good health. The only medicine I take is bi-weekly Humira, which I have been taking for over 10 years. I have had extensive surgeries on my stomach, so I don't know how internal damage/scar tissue/etc. would play into a pregnancy.

Looking for advice/others' experiences with IVF while on Humira. My doctor has had many cases of the embryo not implanting or resulting in miscarriage and believes Humira is the problem, which is why she's advising surrogacy.

Thank you!!
I don’t have any experience with IVF and humira, but you should try the baby center message boards. They have a group for crohns/colitis, and you’re probably more likely to get a response there as most of the posters are pregnant or have had children recently.