• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just had surgery :(

went into hospital on Wednesday 9th September as i was in agony, they firstly thought i had appendisitus, then after a Ultra sound on Friday 11th they said that it was an abcess, so they would do key hole surgery to remove the abcess early the next week and that would be that, which i was really happy with.

Monday 14th comes and i get to be seen by a different consultant, who says he needs more tests to be sure, but doesnt klnow when they will be done, so i kick up a fuss and threaten to discharge myself, and voila! the tests are booked and done by the tuesday lunchtime (gastrograffin follow-through and a ct scan), and was told on the wednesday that my crohns had got really bad and that my small intestine was pushing through into my large intestine, so decided that surgery was the only option and it would be done the next afternoon (Thursday).

So come out of surgery and i feel like hell, and my back is killing me, but the actual pain isnt too bad, and i have a morphine pump to help. After a few days i feel great, tad weak, but a hell of a lot better than i did on that wednesday :)

so by monday 21st docs come round and tell me as long as i feel ok the next day i can go home, which i do, so only 5 days after surgery im allowed home with just a supply of pain relief (which i havnt touched)

ive going to the toilet pretty much all day, and have a huge sugar craving, but other than that i feel great, but i have to take 4 weeks off work (which yes is lovely, but not for the fact that i had only been at my new job for 3 days :( but they are going to let me back which is great !)

sorry for the long post but i felt like it had to be done

hope everyone is ok on here, and sorry i havnt been on in such a long time

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Oh hun, I'm so sorry you're going through such a a terrible time :(

Your small intestine was pushing through your large intestine?? Wow... this disease has taught me things that I didn't even know the human body could possibly do. Not a good thing, I know.

I'm happy that when you threatened to discharge yourself, they actually listened and acted on it. Around here, I think they would've helped me get dressed!

I hope you feel better!!!

Santos61198 said:
Oh hun, I'm so sorry you're going through such a a terrible time :(

Your small intestine was pushing through your large intestine?? Wow... this disease has taught me things that I didn't even know the human body could possibly do. Not a good thing, I know.

I'm happy that when you threatened to discharge yourself, they actually listened and acted on it. Around here, I think they would've helped me get dressed!

I hope you feel better!!!
yeah, it was like pushing a small straw into a big straw, so the large intestine was acting as a blanket for the small intestine where they meet. Yeah they always do seem to get things done when i get stroppy, think it also helped that my dad had a little word with them. :)

I forgot to add what i had removed :
30cm of my small intestine
8cm of my large intestine
an abcess (dont know how big)
my appendix (i requested that it came out, but they said they would take it out anyway as they had me open)

beware - below is a pic of my stiches and my wound from the surgery. The wound is about 10cm, and is getting a tad uncomfortable (constantly itches - any suggestions?)

so yeah, dont look if you dont want to - dont fancy grossing anyone out on here :)

Hey Kitt, sorry to hear you had to go through it, but I'm sure you'll feel better in the long run.

Take the itching as a good sign. Well I think. Because itches usually means healing. At least thats what they told me when mine itched like crazy.

Good luck with your recovery. Hope it all goes well and quickly!

Hey, that is a fabulous scar!!! LOL. Im glad that you seem to be recover very well. Hopefully this will continue and you will feel well.

yeah im having my stiches out on monday :)

Im pretty impressed with the stiches, i really thought it would look a lot worse and be in a lot of pain.

Any ideas as to what meds i will likely to be on?