• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN and Prednisone

Hi.

Can a person take LDN while on 40mg of Prednisone? My son spent 2 weeks in
the hospital with an obstruction. We had to take him off the LDN because they
used Morphine as the painkiller and said they had no other option. (?) They did not perform surgery, but rather put him on 40mg Prednisone per day, (and will be tapering him down by 5 mg/week at the 4 week level). We would like
to start him on the LDN again because it seemed to be helping. How soon can he start back on the LDN?

I would think no... because it suppresses the immune system, which would undo what the LDN does. When I was on LDN I was on nothing else.

I would wait until the Prednisone dose is almost done, or is done.

The Prednisone should keep him from flaring, at least until he is down to a low dose.

They are opposite in nature.

Dan

Thank you for your replies. A lot has happened since. It turns out that the obstruction that my son has is not due to swelling, but rather to scar tissue. The prednisone is not working to reduce the blockage, so he will be starting on an NG tube for food (as he can't eat a lot so he's not able to gain weight), and now he's most likely looking at having surgery in August. He was doing so well on the LDN, and his blood work was so promising, and it
didn't even show any signs of inflammation, yet out of the blue he ends up with this severe obstruction. I suppose that must mean that LDN can not stop stricturing from occuring? Anyone else think that? I still want to start him on it again after he's off the pred, which should be soon, )the doctors want him off real quick now that it isn't working.
My other question is that someone mentioned that LDN has a shelf life. I've never heard that before. How long? I have the powdered LDN in an avicel filler base. Does that have a specific shelf life?

I do not know if LDN will stop strictures, but as far as I know nothing else is known for doing that either. I sure hope it does, because I have had one removed prior to using LDN.

I do not knowthe shelf life of LDN, but i am going to start ordering it for three months time, instead of the six months I have been using. Just to make sure it is full strength.

Skips pharmacy may know the answer to that question. They are experts on LDN.

Dan

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Dan is right about most drugs not able to reduce inflammation caused by scars. I had a laproscopy done when I was obstructing, which is very painful btw. Surgery is not sterotyped anymore as a last resort. He will still need to be on a maintence drug or then back on LDN. I know you are worried but he will bounce back in no time and have a life. Good luck keep us posted on his Surgery appts.

Kev

I was told by the staff at the hospital pharmacy that they don't recommend using anything compounded beyond 100 days (which is why I go with 3 month refills, tho it increases my cost per pill marginally but the nusiance factor of refills 10 fold... this particular pharmacy keeps bankers hours Monday to Friday, and they aren't open on the weekeed or evenings, so it makes ordering/obtaining my refills a real problem with my work schedule as it is.

And, LDN (like just about every other drug that I know of) has zero effect on scar tissue formation. Keep in mind that it (LDN) simply allows your immune system to ward off this disease... and in this ongoing battle, there will be scarring
(People get the impression the LDN is a miracle cure for us. Sadly, it isn't. It merely keeps the disease in check. And, if your sons experiences with LDN and Crohns follows my own in any fashion, there will be flare ups, downturns, what have you... depending on how busy/healthy his own immune system is from time to time. The good news is that .. at least in my case.. I've always turned the corner and my health has improved without changing anything, and without resorting to some very nasty alternative drugs.

The bottom line for going with LDN is not that it's a miracle cure.. but that it is a SAFE and EFFECTIVE treatment, okay?

For those of you who know, been there, done that....Is it safe or benefical to take LDN and predisone together?? My son newly diagnosed, just started the LDN but was in such a painful, non stop flare had to resort to Predisone....

Any tips on helping sleep, as well??
Thank you ahead of time!!

We did the prednisone along side LDN with no problems, according to son's GI the 10mg limit for pred was so that it would not interfere with study results but he could not find anything that they would interfere with one another. It may be what he needs to get him to a point that the LDN can take over.

My son newly diagnoised so this is my question. He is in chronic pain for months. On SCD diet, probiotics, numerous suppliments, LDN 3mg., now predisone for 5 days, delzacol, but no relief!! Please someone give me some perspective on this.
Could he possibly have obstruction? Did 2 cat scans last month and colonoscopy. Why is he in so much pain? Is this typical of crohns?

My son was in severe pain at the time of dx, it can be a predominant symptom for some. My son's CD was deemed severe and he went straight to remicade.

It can be different for everyone. But it isn't uncommon to be in serious pain fairly constantly while in a flare.

LDN can take some time to work so it may take awhile(months) for it to start healing the inflammation. Pred should work fairly quickly, if his pain is still severe then keeping in close contact with the GI and updating him regularly is probably warranted.

When my son was on LDN we really didn't start to see relief until after about 6 weeks and it was slow going from there, he was doing pretty well by 3 months but it was another 3-4 months after that till he was completely in remission.
The prednisone can work fairly quickly and hopefully he'll start seeing relief soon but I second what Clash says keep in close contact with the GI

Thank you for your reply's! We are seeing his GI tomorrow. I know we need to be patient but he's the one hurting. I am surprised the prednisone hasn't helped yet. Have any of you had experience with Humara? Possibly we try remicade.

Our goal is to get this under control with diet and LDN, but now we just need to eliminate the pain.

Appreciate your time!

Hi. So it is beneficial to do both LDN and prednisone? Just want to make sure the LDN will still work or should we wait until pred is finished?

Hi and welcome.
My Grace did LDN for awhile but it wasn't enough to get things under control.
She's on Humira and methotrexate.
Humira is given by injection. I'm able to do it at home. We just had to increase the timing to see if it will work better. My Grace also deals with a lot of pain.

My heart goes out to these kids.
As to the pred.....I'm not sure.