• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN covered by drug plan - Alberta, Canada

Just got my family doctor to prescribe LDN.
Had the Compounding Pharmacy fill the prescription.
Cost $75.74 for 100 caps.
Alberta Blue Cross Non-Group Plan paid $53.02. I paid $22.72.
Alberta Blue Cross Non-Group Plan is a plan administered by Alberta Blue Cross on behalf of the Alberta Provincial Government.
The plan covers drugs, ambulance service and semi private hospital rooms and costs about $63 single or $118 family per month.
Drug coverage is 70%, with a max co-pay of $25 per prescription.
The pharmacist told me that because Naltraxone is on the approve drug list, Alberta Blue Cross will cover any prescribed amount, in my case 4.5 mg caps, having a DIN is not necessary. I checked my drug account online and it comes up as Miscellaneous Oral Compound.
I joined this plan because it also administers the provincial catastrophic drug access for drugs like Remicade etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Blue Cross as well as a private plan through my husband's work. They cover my Remicade and all my other drugs. Blue Cross pays everything except a $25 deductible and my husband's plan pays for that. The only thing I have to do is once a year, I get a letter stating that I'm going to go over the $25,000 allowed by Blue Cross. I have to call them and they raise my yearly limit to $42,000. I have to do this every year. So if you get one of those letters, don't panic. They're very nice to deal with and all it takes is a phone call.

Hi Alison,
I have not yet had to go on any drugs for crohn's. The Gastro is concerned that because of my age (60) I would be a higher risk for side effects than someone younger.
So because I have a lot of bathroom visits I decided to try the LDN route with the help of my family doc.
Cheers
Norman

Hi Kev,
I was surprised that it was covered. I have read your posts about LDN and appreciate the info you have put out there. I want to get back into the work force (IT job outsourced to Asia 3 years ago) and I hope LDN gives me the same success as you.
Cheers
Norman

Kev

What is it with us IT guys getting this disease? (Rhetorical question).. My 20 yr career was a casualty... Welllll, with my shortened colon, and the damaged areas still present, and possibly my age... the odors emanating from me essentially ruled out my returning to an office environment. I drive a garbage truck, nonetheless... some of my co-workers refer to me as 'Stinky Old B........" But, I digress. I don't mind spending $75 every 3 months... but it would be much nicer if I could keep that money, invest it in air freshener.