• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN making flare worse?

Help please my son is 13, on the SCD diet and has been well since diagnosed and on the diet, a month ago he had some small symptoms and 8 days ago he had bleeding and loose stools. I put him on 1.5mg LDN and he started getting worse even having accidents in the night,the blood stopped straight after taking and he is now hungry eating heaps now, I started 5 days ago.Hes on every supplement imaginable and is up at 11pm-1pm with runs and again in morning,funny thing yesterday he had two formed stools after a morning of the runs, then a night of the runs again after taking. It was made fresh, hes never been on any meds before diagnosed 18 months ago, has seton ring in and has been putting on weight and height up till this flare, any suggestions?

Kev

It is common for people to experience a phase of getting worse... frighteningly worse.. in the initial stages. He is flaring, and not on any other drugs to stop or limit the flare. This can be quite hard to deal with... accept. I believe you can combine LDN with other drugs to get over the initial hard part. I've seen write ups allowing for up to 10mg of steroids. (I'm not a fan of them, but... might be easier than toughing it out without). There may be other combinations... but I'm not medically qualified to offer an opinion on any of them.