• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN & Prednisone

I have just been given the go ahead to start LDN! (low-dose naltrexone)
I am so happy right now and i finally feel hopeful that things are gonna work out :)

But I'm on 30mg Prednisone still after a bad flare, since march this year….So my question is has anyone
else started LDN while being on Prednisone? How did you do it?

Is it better to taper down to 20 mg prednisone at least before starting LDN?
The furthest i have been able to taper down to is 25mg before the Crohn's symptoms returned
and i had to go back up to 35mg prednisone a few weeks ago.
But it takes so long to taper. And i want to start LDN as soon as possible.
But i want to do it the right way to make sure that it's successful. Any advice?

I can't ask my Doctors these questions. Since i am their first patient to try LDN.

Incase you are in a similar situation and want to know how i convinced my doctors?
I ordered two books from Amazon:
The Power of Honest Medicine, by Julia Schopick
The LDN Book, by Linda Elsegood
And i gave them to my doctor to read. Suffice to say her mind was blown.

I am so thankful for any advice from this wonderful forum.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Hugs
Luciana

Brief history:
I've had Crohn's for 25 years. No surgery
Recent medications:
Remicade (gave me lupus like syndrome)
Humira (stopped working)
Prednisone (Since March 2019. Still tapering from 100mg)

Was hospitalised 3 months ago with severe flare - Stenosis in the sigmoid colon, spread out inflammation, unable to eat and almost had surgery.
Instead was put on 100mg Prednisone while deciding which medication to take next.
Doctor agreed that a 3rd biologic might not be the answer due to my history with biologics.

Been surviving the last few weeks/months on the SCD chicken soup and the SCD yogurt which has given me a lot of relief. SCD = (Specific Carbohydrate Diet)
Prednisone gave me Candida and Herpes so been treating this with homeopathy on the side. My biggest issue right now seems to be the Prednisone. Too many side effects, especially mentally. But i am taking Wormwood supplement and i think it's helping. But i really need to get off Prednisone asap! I also have Vitamin C Infusions twice a week and Vitamin B Injections once a week. And iron infusion once in a while. That's all i can think of right now. :) Thanks for listening.

Hey Luciana,
My son is 16 and his GI won't prescribe LDN. I have tried to share links and whatnot with her. She won't even prescribe him antibiotics. She prescribed methotrexate and he had side effects immediately. I live in Alabama and it is so frustrating to get help from an actual GI doctor. If you have any other tips and if you can share how LDN is going now that would be great. Thanks

Melissa

I have just been given the go ahead to start LDN! (low-dose naltrexone)
I am so happy right now and i finally feel hopeful that things are gonna work out :)

But I'm on 30mg Prednisone still after a bad flare, since march this year….So my question is has anyone
else started LDN while being on Prednisone? How did you do it?

Is it better to taper down to 20 mg prednisone at least before starting LDN?
The furthest i have been able to taper down to is 25mg before the Crohn's symptoms returned
and i had to go back up to 35mg prednisone a few weeks ago.
But it takes so long to taper. And i want to start LDN as soon as possible.
But i want to do it the right way to make sure that it's successful. Any advice?

I can't ask my Doctors these questions. Since i am their first patient to try LDN.

Incase you are in a similar situation and want to know how i convinced my doctors?
I ordered two books from Amazon:
The Power of Honest Medicine, by Julia Schopick
The LDN Book, by Linda Elsegood
And i gave them to my doctor to read. Suffice to say her mind was blown.

I am so thankful for any advice from this wonderful forum.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Hugs
Luciana

Brief history:
I've had Crohn's for 25 years. No surgery
Recent medications:
Remicade (gave me lupus like syndrome)
Humira (stopped working)
Prednisone (Since March 2019. Still tapering from 100mg)

Was hospitalised 3 months ago with severe flare - Stenosis in the sigmoid colon, spread out inflammation, unable to eat and almost had surgery.
Instead was put on 100mg Prednisone while deciding which medication to take next.
Doctor agreed that a 3rd biologic might not be the answer due to my history with biologics.

Been surviving the last few weeks/months on the SCD chicken soup and the SCD yogurt which has given me a lot of relief. SCD = (Specific Carbohydrate Diet)
Prednisone gave me Candida and Herpes so been treating this with homeopathy on the side. My biggest issue right now seems to be the Prednisone. Too many side effects, especially mentally. But i am taking Wormwood supplement and i think it's helping. But i really need to get off Prednisone asap! I also have Vitamin C Infusions twice a week and Vitamin B Injections once a week. And iron infusion once in a while. That's all i can think of right now. :) Thanks for listening.

Dear Melissa!
Im so sorry to hear about your son. Its scary to know there are medications out there that could help and they wont give it to you, its heartbreaking. How i went about convincing my doctor, I purchased 2 books on LDN and brought it to the doctor, i had read and underlined the most Important things! It made it look very official.
So my house doctor said yes, but in the the end my GI said no, because i was in such severe state that i had to start a biologic asap, until things are under control. Then In the future i can think of LDN again.

Hope it helps a little?
All the best for you and your son

Hi Luciana, what biologic are you currently on? Are you feeling better? I see that you were on Remicade at one time but stopped due to Lupus like symtoms, then you were on Humira. I hope you are doing well because I remember you were in a pretty severe state earlier this year.

Hi Luciana, what biologic are you currently on? Are you feeling better? I see that you were on Remicade at one time but stopped due to Lupus like symtoms, then you were on Humira. I hope you are doing well because I remember you were in a pretty severe state earlier this year.
I started Stelara in August!!
We think its working, yes. because i am finally able to taper my prednisone!
I had a few days in September where i even felt like a normal person. :)
But i have huge problems with prednisone, it doesnt work as quick as it used to.
And my body also really doesnt want me to stop prednisone at the same time. So its dilemma.
Im currently in the hospital, because of this. Uuuggggh