• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lialda not working?

I have had 2 abscesses in the past from diverticulitis. I had my 2end colonoscopy beginning of the year. It showed active bleeding from my diverticula and 2 spots of UC.

I have been on 4 Lialda a day for about 45 days. At first I was doing 4 every morning, but ended up with bad cramping till around lunch, sometimes I could poop and it would help and some times not. Doc told me to take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Since starting the Lialda I have been daily cramping and have not had a decent texture BM.

My Doc says I have to have 1 more (3 total) abscess to have surgery. He says there is only about 1" that needs to be removed.

I have been bleeding for about 2 years, but blood work always looks good. I just got my last Lactoferrin Fecal Quantitative test back and scored a 78 (I have seen much higher). For the last 57 days I have been on a soft food diet. Mostly eat rice and soup (no cream, no tomatoes, no beef, or pork).

I'm at the point where I'm lost on what to do.
I can not go to a different hospital system because of my insurance. I tried to get a second opinion with in my hospital system, but they will only do a chart review.

I don't think Lialda is all that strong of a drug. You probably need to ask your doctor about a stronger medicine.