• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Listing of The Most LGBT-Friendly Hospitals In the Nation

nogutsnoglory

"A record-breaking 464 hospitals nationwide were named LGBT healthcare leaders in the Human Rights Campaign's 2013 Healthcare Equality Index."

"HRC used four criteria to track the care and treatment that LGBT patients received in a given hospital: patient nondiscrimination policies, equal visitation directives, employment nondiscrimination, and training in LGBT patient-centered care. Medical facilities who met these "core four" were deemed 2013 Leaders in LGBT healthcare equality."

Check your state to see which hospitals made the cut here: http://www.advocate.com/health/2013/07/11/these-are-most-lgbt-friendly-hospitals-nation

nogutsnoglory

That's so cool halfheartedheroine! None of the hospitals I have been to are listed. I don't think it means they are not inclusive or safe environments but rather they probably don't implement certain protocols that would make it easier for physicians, staff and patients. I know that the Healthcare Equality Index lists that criteria by which these ratings are given.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable being out in a hospital, with nurses knowing about a partner because some may have deep hatred and it could compromise my care. I have read and seen way too many horror stories about gay patients being denied treatment or partners having no visitation or medical decision rights. Even those in civil unions seem to lack these protections but hopefully with a marriage license, hospitals and staff will be unable to discriminate. I hope this is the exception to the rule and most people are decent regardless of their personal beliefs on the matter.

Thank you, I just posted it and credited you. There are so many who need this information. Quite honestly, until I read your posts in another thread about the disparagement in treatment and consideration given to gay/lesbian/transgendered people, I never gave it any thought. I guess I expected health care workers to be more compassionate and professional.

Also, I suppose my ignorance on the subject could be considered straight privilege, but now that I know, I definitely want to help everyone receive equal care. It's such a shame that basic human dignity still needs to be advocated in this day and age. :/

nogutsnoglory

Unfortunately hatred and misunderstanding are still prevalent not just for the gay community but other minority groups as well. Hopefully as time goes on things will only improve. People like you and others are helping make way for a brighter future.

Would you mind sharing a link to your blog? Love to read your entries.