• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low fibre diet

C

Claire

Hi,
I'm new to this site and have found it after searching the net this week as my eight year old daughter probably has crohn's.
She has had tummy pains for several weeks and pain on going to the loo. She has also had low grade fevers and spells of vomiting. Her appetite had disappeared and she usually eats loads!! Interestingly enough she has not had any diarrhoea! Anyway, to cut a long (and painful) story short, follwing ultrasound scans and barium stuides she has some inflammation in her small bowel where it ends and joins the large bowel. They think it is most likely crohn's and she is to be admitted for a colonscopy and gastroscopy in a couple of weeks time. Since the diagnosis she is much better! The pain has subsided and she is back to eating normally! This is great, but now I'm getting my hopes up that she really is ok and it will all be normal when they look inside. The docs did say though that kids can have intermittent pain for months before diagnosis, so this is probably normal.
Anyway, to the point...I'm having to give her a low fibre diet. What exactly does this mean? The doctor just said avoid sweetcorn and carrots and have white bread instead of brown! Surely there's more to it than this??? I have been peeling apples and cucumber and have been avoiding other fruit. Can anyone please give me any hints and tips? She's also drinking lots of milk with added calories as she's got a bit skinny whilst unwell.
Is there anyone out there who has a child with crohn's? I would love to hear from you.
Thanks in anticipation.
Claire. x

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

Hi Claire

i have been put on the low fibre (residue) diet i went to the dietricians yesterday on the diet you must cut out fibre which are in:
potato skins,
fruit all fruits including tinned and fresh juice,
any brown bread,
cereals like weetabix etc....................
veg fresh tinned or frozen
buiscuits like digestives

basically you can eat all junk foods hope this helps any questions email me and i will try and help xx

J

Jonny

Eat all junk foods??Sounds good to me lol..Ive pmed you donna thanx

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

ive emailed you jonny hope it helps im loving this diet hehe

V

Valentina

Thanks for sharing Donna! Im going to give it a try.. and hope it works to get me back to "normal" lol.. is there any such thing?

C

Claire

Hello again folks!
I have good news! Grace had her colonoscopy and endoscopy today and they have found no evidence of crohn's! We are very relieved!
What they have found is nodular lymphoid hyperplasia (apparently quite often found in kids being investigated for crohn's). They took biopsies and we need to go back in two weeks for the results.
Looks like I might not be getting to know you as well as I thought, but thanks for your support and good wishes to date.
best wishes to all.
Claire. x

V

Valentina

Claire said:
Hello again folks!
I have good news! Grace had her colonoscopy and endoscopy today and they have found no evidence of crohn's! We are very relieved!
What they have found is nodular lymphoid hyperplasia (apparently quite often found in kids being investigated for crohn's). They took biopsies and we need to go back in two weeks for the results.
Looks like I might not be getting to know you as well as I thought, but thanks for your support and good wishes to date.
best wishes to all.
Claire. x
awww, thats really great news Claire! I hope her biopsies come back all clear, and you can put all this behind you, and she can focus on being a kid!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Thats good news!

It was good that you were informing yourself though early on and getting prepared.

Best of luck with everyone's health in the future :).