• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lymphocytic Colitis

I was Dx with LC on 8/26/2010. When I read about the symptoms associated with the Dx I thought my Doc was a quack. I've been having my first "episode", as they call it, since 2/2011. I've lost 30 lbs to date and still don't know what I can or cannot eat. The pain is constant and can leave me feeling weakened.

Doc has Rx'd 2 different kinds of Mesalamines to no avail. (I think it's due to a Sulfa allergy, he thinks I sould try a third Mesalamine.) I'd rather not take drugs at all.

Thinking about seeing a nutritionist to help me sorth thru whatever my diet needs to be. :confused2:

Some days are good, most days are bad. Often I find myself depressed and annoyed.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome!

I, too, have been diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Colitis. I created a support group here. I have a lot of information to add to the first post still, please be patient with me there :) For the record, I'm not on any drugs.

Foods I avoid like the plague:

1. Gluten
2. Dairy
3. Soy
4. Corn
5. Anything NOT organic.

In other words, I eat very little of what I used to eat.

But it really is a big game of guess and check through elimination diets. I've also begun to theorize that mast cells are very involved in a vicious cycle. Do you know if your GI had the lab do a mast cell stain on your biopsy results? If you don't know, I would strongly suggest finding out. Once I cut out the foods above and began taking a natural anti-histamine, my symptoms were reduced significantly. Of course, when I slip up on my diet, they come roaring back.

We're here for you buddy. It CAN get better :)

By the way, I'm moving to Florida next week. I'll probably be starting a local IBD support group so keep your eyes peeled :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Stancheski and welcome! I am sorry you haven't found relief yet. I think meeting with a nutritionist is a good idea. It's a good idea for anyone, especially someone with IBD.

I hope you find a diet plan (and treatment plan) that works for you! Keep us posted!

Supplements

Anyone here hear about a Dr Don Colbert?

My mom sent me his web page and I'm so psyched about all the supplements out there that can help with the LC.

Lots of pain for the past few days feels like someone is stabbing me in the gut. I'm barely eating anything:
Monday-mashed potatoes lunch, rice dinner, Ensure (this is yummy but I wonder if I should be taking it)
Tuesday-crackers and banana dinner
Wednesday-banana and ginger water so far...

Just don't feel like eating. It hurts.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I will get through this. :O)

David

Co-Founder
I haven't heard of him, no. What's the website?

Are you keeping a food diary?

Potatoes seem to jack me up pretty good. Everyone is different of course.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Stan, with regards to Ensure - it seems that a lot of us on the forum drink Ensure/Boost/other supplement drinks fairly regularly. I'm undiagnosed (my GI thinks I've either got Crohn's or microscopic colitis - I don't bleed and I do respond to Entocort, so it's pretty much been narrowed down to those two suspects). I have an Ensure every morning for breakfast, since I cannot seem to eat solid foods before 10 or 11 AM without getting very nauseous. There has been a bit of debate with regards to drinks like these, as they are pretty high in sugar, but my personal opinion is that the nutrients and calories are worth ingesting some sugar too. I tend to lose weight very easily, especially when I flare, so the more calories & nutrients I can get in me, the better.

Food Diary

I haven't heard of him, no. What's the website?

Are you keeping a food diary?

Potatoes seem to jack me up pretty good. Everyone is different of course.
drcolbert.com

My food diary is a mess. Since I've had this episode for so long, I don't know what the trigger foods are for me yet. Everytime I think I can continue eating something it eventually sends me running. When I'm going more than 5 times a day for more than one day, I fast and drink lots of liquids and after a day or two I start on the BRAT diet again. How quickly after you eat do you know if something is not good for you?

David

Co-Founder
Thanks for the link.

I have a theory that different foods affect me at different rates. I feel like some take as much as 48 hours. For example, last week I cheated from my regular diet (I'm not sure if it was the bread, olive oil, or onions that got me, but SOMETHING did) and was fine for about 48 hours. Then I got nailed. Nothing changed except for that one cheat session.

Seriously, try that D-Hist I linked to. It makes a HUGE difference for me.

God I feel so happy to have found this site I am a 31 yeR old mommy of 2 amazing girls who's life drastically changed just shy of 6 months ago and I gave been sick ever since.....this past Wednesday they finally think they found the answer LC! Most say what I have read doesn't make me hopeful I will ever be me again....my attacks are always in the evening and consist of loose bowls 50% of the time water nausea and excessive weight loss almost 30lbs to date.... And bad stomach pains burning stomach ect....please someone give me hope