• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Magnesium deficiency symptoms.

Foot cramps were my indicator. Even though I did take a supplement, it was not enough. I increased the amount and problem gone.

Dan

I am using 633 mg of which is roughly 1.5 times of the daily value recommended.

500 mg is in the form of magnesium ascorbate/amino acid chelate complex.

133 mg is in the form of magnesium glycinate chelate.

It would be pretty difficult to overdose on magnesium.

Dan

Thanks Dan, that's really useful. I'd started having daily migraines and some on another thread suggested Magnesium. Reading this, I have several of the other symptoms too so Magnesium might just do the trick.

Let us know if it works for you. I have only had one migraine in my life, and it was so painful I can't imagine having them regularly. Your one tough cookie.

Dan

This is speculative to say the least, but if migraines are the result of some sort of vascular restriction, an immediate short term fix might be cayenne pepper.

I keep capsules at my house in case of a heart attack. My father in law had heart problems so it was mostly for him.

Cayenne pepper is a vascodialator and works very quickly. It seems counterintuitive. But it is also antiinflammatory.

If you are the experimenting type, it is something to read up on.

Dan

The ones I'm having at the moment are mild, Dan, compared to ones I've had in the past. I used to get classic migraines - not that often, but the aura, vomiting, horrendous headache and the only thing to help was going to lie down in a darkened room and sleep it off.
The ones I'm having now are mainly visual disturbance with fatigue and a mild headache, but I'm also having sometimes numbness in my extremities and restless legs.
I will also check out your cayenne pepper link. My dad died at 48 of a heart attack and my younger sister had one last year at 42.
Will keep you posted on the effects of the magnesium.

This is speculative to say the least, but if migraines are the result of some sort of vascular restriction, an immediate short term fix might be cayenne pepper.

I keep capsules at my house in case of a heart attack. My father in law had heart problems so it was mostly for him.

Cayenne pepper is a vascodialator and works very quickly. It seems counterintuitive. But it is also antiinflammatory.

If you are the experimenting type, it is something to read up on.

Dan
I tried capsium cream today for a migraine attack. I can't be certain just with one try; but I think this might be more effective than peppermint oil.

Yeah, you can't really say for certain with a one time event, but you should know over time. Where do you use it at? I have used peppermint oil for tension headaches that start in my neck. It works for a while but wears off in a couple hours. I rub it into the neck area where it starts at.

I have also used DMSO and that works better, but plain old aspirin works best for me. Everyone is different though, and mine are not migraines.

Dan

My product is an ointment that has capsaicin, camphor , menthol, methyl salicylate. I rub it on the blood vessels around my scalp and neck. I also breath it.
The key with these products is, they generally don't stop migraine(I don't experience tension headaches) when used alone. They help with pain. Taking paracetamol or other types of analgesics at early stages of migraine is the most important. Reducing the level of pain with these products increases the success possibility of paracetamol or any other analgesic. Also, cannabis is a powerful way to treat migraine attacks when combined with analgesics if needed. It(cannabis) can also be used as a migraine prophylaxis agent.

Last edited:
I have heard thee are trigger foods with some migraines. I had a relative that would get them if she had any form of chocolate.

I am sure this is not always the case, but a food diary might be useful.

Dan

plain old aspirin works best for me.

Dan
Mr. Bergman, do you worry about increased risk of cd relapse with NSAIDs? If I take any form of NSAID, my cd symptoms increase in hours and I see noticeable increase of blood in stool. It has negative effects on leaky gut.
Thanks.

I don't worry about it when I am not symptomatic. Although whether I had Crohns or not I would avoid taking it regularly. Aspirin has its negative side effects.

Heck, I eat popcorn and onions now, and anything else I want to. I couldn't have thought of that a couple of years ago. Coffee was the hardest thing on my guts. I can drink it now without problems, but too much before would bring the blood out.

So, you figured out my name. Good detective work.

Dan

Wow. That an old post. Didn't know I had even been on this forum that long. No need to edit anything. I use my real name on some forums but often they recommend you do not.

Regarding relapse. At this time, with the Crohns under control, I don't have any indication of a compromised mucus barrier as I did before. At least I have not been able to provoke a problem by eating things that would have been a problem in the past.

Like anyone else, I watch for the slightest indication of problems. I have found lots of small clues that indicate my disease is getting out of hand. Some I did not realize were even related to Crohns until they went away.

I worry about relapse constantly, but if your intestinal tract not healthy, the real problem is with the state of the disease, and if it is unhealthy, I want to know sooner rather than later. So I will take an occasional aspirin, eat problem foods, just to see what happens. To test the treatment. Seems like a risky thing to do, but not knowing a problem exists is also risky.

Hard to explain my thought process, but I am always testing, refining, researching and applying what I learn. I assume I am missing something in my self treatment, because it is too important to get wrong.

Magnesium is one important part of the treatment. I need my body to work at its optimum level. I don't have the advantage of youth any longer.

Your English is quite good. Better than many that have it as a first language.

Dan

Curiosity, suspiciousness, researchs and experiments as an obsession, as a substance of character. I know that.
Regards.

I been slowly feeling cramping, nervousness pain in the left side of my body, shoulders, arm, and even leg. See two doctors and they said im fine, pointed to depression. I think it could be magnesium related. Restless leg syndrome is constant, I cant sit still. Cant sleep most days, rough time falling asleep. Crohns is semi-under control.

Anyone got a supplement they recommend?

cmack

Staff member
I use Metagenics, Mag Glycinate, 100mg magnesium bisglycinate tablets (1 or two a day when sweating or during hot weather) otherwise a couple a week. It seems fine with my stomach and reduces cramps and muscle spasm. I hope this helps. I would keep trying to get a medical diagnosis as well. Good luck, feel free to ask away.