• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Male on Azathioprine safe to father a child?

I'm a new member. My husband of two years has Ulcerative Colitis, he is 24 and has had it since he was 17. He is currently on Asacol HD as well as Azathioprine 150mg daily. He had flare ups for 2 years before finally getting into remission with Azathioprine. We are planning on trying to conceive, but have been told that he needs to be off Azathioprine for 3 months before trying to conceive. The G.I. doctor told me it was more due to "infertility" isssues, while what I have read online states it may have potential effects that cause birth defects. I have read about this subject online and there doesn't really seem to have been any real documented accounts of birth defects while the male was on Azathioprine. The studies seem to be have done on mice, with extremely high doses. My question is, should we risk my husband getting sick again and come off the Azathioprine before conception? Or should we go ahead and try to conceive with him on it, and see what happens? Has anyone on here had a successful pregnancy, with a healthy baby born, while the male was currently on Azathioprine at conception?

I had this posted on another thread and got some good replys, regarding people who successfully fathered children while on this medication. Any others with information, experience, please comment. I'm leaning towards just trying to conceive without him coming off his meds.

KWalker

Welcome, although I'm not 100% sure myself because of the multiple contradicting things out there. I'm a male myself (not on Imuran though) and I made a post not too long ago asking about it and there were a few people that said they have fathered children while on Imuran with no problems. My doctor also told me that Imuran was safe even for pregnant women although I'm not sure how much I believe that.

Best of luck to you guys!

I have two children and a hubby with Crohn's our oldest was conceived on Asacol or Pentasa can't remember which but I think it was Pentasa. The younger was conceived on Aza. No birth defects here, big healthy boys. Best of luck

I'm a new member. My husband of two years has Ulcerative Colitis, he is 24 and has had it since he was 17. He is currently on Asacol HD as well as Azathioprine 150mg daily. He had flare ups for 2 years before finally getting into remission with Azathioprine. We are planning on trying to conceive, but have been told that he needs to be off Azathioprine for 3 months before trying to conceive. The G.I. doctor told me it was more due to "infertility" isssues, while what I have read online states it may have potential effects that cause birth defects. I have read about this subject online and there doesn't really seem to have been any real documented accounts of birth defects while the male was on Azathioprine. The studies seem to be have done on mice, with extremely high doses. My question is, should we risk my husband getting sick again and come off the Azathioprine before conception? Or should we go ahead and try to conceive with him on it, and see what happens? Has anyone on here had a successful pregnancy, with a healthy baby born, while the male was currently on Azathioprine at conception?

I had this posted on another thread and got some good replys, regarding people who successfully fathered children while on this medication. Any others with information, experience, please comment. I'm leaning towards just trying to conceive without him coming off his meds.
My husband has been on 150mg daily of Azathioprine for the last 9 years for his chronic eczema. I was unaware of the possible birth defects and found this thread purely by accident today.

I can also confirm that we are the proud parents of two beautiful bright blessings aged 7 and 5. Neither of whom have birth defects or suffer any ill health... both of whom were conceived on azathioprine. Funnily enough however it took us two years of trying to conceive our eldest. Not sure if that is just a coincidence as prior to trying to conceive I personally had been on the birth control injection; Depo-Provera for 10 years prior to that. Depo can take a while to leave your body and can delay conception.