• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mezavant

Hey guys

After a recent visit to my doctor, I was prescribed Mezavant to start taking as I taper away my prednisone (currently 35mg)

On prednisone alone, I feel relatively fine (besides irritability at the end of day) with only one bowel movement in the morning.

For the first 3 days I have been on 4.8g mezavant, I have had on all three days a 2 hour period where I'm forced to lock myself in the bathroom for a horribly painful nauseating bloody bowel movement. It's torture.

My pharmacist recommended I lower my dosage to 1.2g to let my body adjust to it. Even on this dose, I get woken up in the morning by very painful cramps and proceed to take a 20 min bowel movement ( that's how long it takes me to feel "empty"). I also feel uncharacteristically exhausted during the day.

Is this all part of the process? Or do I suffer from the rare acute intolerance syndrome?

I have a GI appointment this wednesday, and I'm just about to quit mezavant completely until then.

I'm on 3 caps of Mezavant (want to say that's 9 g total but don't quote me on that). Since January-ish. Was on Asacol previously, couple years back.

I seem to do fine on both, although question if they actually do much of anything as far as help.

Some people swear by Pentasa/Asacol/Mezavant and others, like you, report serious side-effects or intolerance.

I'd not be taking anything that I react that violently to, especially if I were trying to taper on Pred. Talk to your GI and hopefully they'll have a plan for you!

Best of luck.

I would lean towards saying it is NOT part of the process. I have never heard of it being a drug you need to taper up. I started on the full 4.8g. You may very well be intolerant to it. Some people are. I wouldn't blame you for stopping until your appt. There is really no risk if its not help you anyway.