• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Muscle twitching/spasms

I've had three infusions of Remicade and recently noticed twitching and muscle spasms mainly in my legs. It's not exclusively there though, I've noticed it in my arms and others spots as well. Recently I've noticed my right index finger twitching quite regularly. I'm going to see my GI soon and will bring up but was curious if this is a side effect of Remicade or Imuran.
Thanks.

I really can't say what's going on in your case, obviously, but your symptoms sound like mine when I'm low on magnesium and/or potassium. I get twitching in my fingers, tingling in my arms and legs, cramps in my hands or feet, etc. Electrolyte deficiencies, unfortunately, are super common with those of us who absorb poorly and/or have diarrhea.

If you're concerned ask your doc to check your electrolyte levels; s/he might even be able to call in an order to a lab and you can check before you see him or her.

Coconut water is a great source of both potassium and magnesium in the meantime. High in (fruit) sugar, but fairly easy on the gut if you're ok with sugar.

scottanias, are you still having the muscle twitches? Was it the remicade? I have been having remicade infusions for 5 years with no side effects until about 3 months ago. muscle twitches in both legs, in my left finger, and my eyelids, as well as occasionally elsewhere.

Yes, i still have the twitching. I spoke to my gi doc about and he didnt seem too concerned. I definitely think its tied to imuran or remicade but i havent been able to pin it down. I am going in for my physical with my general doc . I will discuss it more with him. It comes and goes but is at least several times a day. My eyelids twitch a lot. Lol really annoying

thanks for responding. I went to my primary physician first. She chalked it up to stress, the catch-all for "I have no idea what's wrong with you." So, I am seeing my GI in a couple weeks. I have been scouring the internet for side effects of remicade and, from what I can tell, it's a pretty rare-but not unheard of- side effect. I am wanting to stop my remicade because of it, but I know my GI is going to try to talk me out of it. If I stop the remicade and it goes away I'll let you know.

Hi All

I have the same thing. I have taken about 6 doses of Remicade but I have full body twitching.. in my hands, legs, feet, arms.

Sort of like a restless leg syndrome. Might be from stress or something else. I think I need to start exercising so I don't have a heart attack!

I have twitching in my left index finger, i had a slightly abnormal eeg but nothing conclusive to point to anything. Ireally beleive its from the remicade, it gets worse right after

Yes, i still have the twitching. I spoke to my gi doc about and he didnt seem too concerned. I definitely think its tied to imuran or remicade but i havent been able to pin it down. I am going in for my physical with my general doc . I will discuss it more with him. It comes and goes but is at least several times a day. My eyelids twitch a lot. Lol really annoying
I get it sometimes and was told to keep bananas on hand. I think mine could be related to Imuran . it hasd been two or three years since I was taken off of Remicade.

I get this sort of thing; have done for years and I've never been on Remicade or Imuran. I always think it's from tiredness, or maybe anxiety. Though possibly the tiredness and anxiety are caused by something else.

I've had three infusions of Remicade and recently noticed twitching and muscle spasms mainly in my legs. It's not exclusively there though, I've noticed it in my arms and others spots as well. Recently I've noticed my right index finger twitching quite regularly. I'm going to see my GI soon and will bring up but was curious if this is a side effect of Remicade or Imuran.
Thanks.
I am gong through very similar symptoms! My main issue is finger twitching and restless legs at night. I am also on Remicade and imuran. If it is the medications its worth keeping me in remission, but really annoying. Also j get really bad joint pain in my fingers. This could be crohns though. Please let me know what your GI says! Best fo Luck

Thanks.
I am gong through very similar symptoms! My main issue is finger twitching and restless legs at night. I am also on Remicade and imuran. If it is the medications its worth keeping me in remission, but really annoying. Also j get really bad joint pain in my fingers. This could be crohns though. Please let me know what your GI says! Best fo Luck

Woops looks like my question is answered in above posts. Sorry I am having trouble with seeing full threads the past few days. My apoplogies.

I had an infusion today and was going to ask if muscle soreness is common?

I also am having restless leg issues- the colder my house the better meaning it happens less frequently?

My eyes have been twitching for the last few months, my GP said exhaustion, it started after I ended my medical leave.

Any achy muscles out there?

Lauren

Son is on remicade and has been for the last 2 years, his lower eyelid started twitching about a week ago and hasn't stopped (He just told me on Friday). Has infusion tomorrow, so will ask GI. Hasn't affected his vision just says it's an annoyance. Thought maybe it was just fatigue/stress with school, sports, work but he does get plenty of sleep. Hasn't had an increased amount of stress in fact it's probably less then it was a couple of months ago. I'm baffled.

I dont know if I should start a new thread, or okay to ask here.

After being on remicade for the last 8-10 months I am starting to notice severe weakness in my arms, and legs. I am young enough for this not to that big of a deal, but its starting to get noticeable.

How do I know?
Keeping a cup at a 90 degree angle is overbearing sometimes.

I dont know if I should start a new thread, or okay to ask here.

After being on remicade for the last 8-10 months I am starting to notice severe weakness in my arms, and legs. I am young enough for this not to that big of a deal, but its starting to get noticeable.

How do I know?
Keeping a cup at a 90 degree angle is overbearing sometimes.
Harout20, contact your doctor and let him know what is happening.

Harout20, contact your doctor and let him know what is happening.
I was told to speak to a rheumatologist, which ordered blood tests and MRI scans of the brain :( scary right? I know sort of freaked me out! I am waiting to get those done before I see her again to see whats wrong with me.