• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Jigsaw

I have written a book about my experiences with Crohn's and its EIMs. It's called "Crohn's Disease - Wrestling The Octopus" (after the surgeon's description of my intestines in 2010) and I'm aiming to publish it in 2020. In the meantime I have condensed the story into this jigsaw diagram. I hope it might spark some interest. I find it useful when meeting a new HCP as they can get an overvew of the patient sitting before them rather than wade through reams of notes

Crohns Jigsaw_2019_V20_red.jpg

After the ileostomy/reversal they would usually prescribe a maintenance dose of Azathioprine. As I cannot take it I was on no Crohn's drugs at all
so the answer to "what induced remission" can only be surgery!

WOW- That took some TIME
I don't know some of the terms used- sorry
What is Banding 2012-2014 and BAM 2014

BAM - Bile Acid Malabsorption (also known as BSM - bile salt malabsorption or BAD - bile acid diarrhea) due to the removal of my terminal ileum

Banding - also known as Variceal Banding and, in my case, is the placing of rubber bands around veins which have grown on the surface of my esophagus

I have written a book about my experiences with Crohn's and its EIMs. It's called "Crohn's Disease - Wrestling The Octopus" (after the surgeon's description of my intestines in 2010) and I'm aiming to publish it in 2020. In the meantime I have condensed the story into this jigsaw diagram. I hope it might spark some interest. I find it useful when meeting a new HCP as they can get an overvew of the patient sitting before them rather than wade through reams of notes

View attachment 3933
what D level do you maintain? have you ever used butyrate?

View attachment 3933
what vitamin D level do you maintain?

I am looking forward to your book. What audience is it directed to? Is this for readers who already have Crohn's to help them with the treatment or is it more to general audience. When I was diagnosed I read one book about Crohn's. It wasn't much about the treatment but about life in general with the disease. About the missed appointments, problems with work, parenting, the need to be always aware where the washrooms are....don't remember the title, but will look.

I am looking forward to your book. What audience is it directed to? Is this for readers who already have Crohn's to help them with the treatment or is it more to general audience. When I was diagnosed I read one book about Crohn's. It wasn't much about the treatment but about life in general with the disease. About the missed appointments, problems with work, parenting, the need to be always aware where the washrooms are....don't remember the title, but will look.
Haven't actually written down who my target audience is. I'd say it is for other patients, either newly diagnosed or old hands, and medical professionals to see how the disease can affect one's QOL and how I have coped with the various novel experiences along the way. It explains how I got from the Crohn's appearing in 1977 up to the present. In recent years the EIMs have been a larger part of my experience so I've experienced different tests/procedures than just those expected with "just" Crohn's.

Prednisone? as long as you are happy, I wish you well. I will eventually be releasing my crohns e book on my website, and several podcasts, if you are interested. Keep in mind IBD is closely associated with cancer, and thats why you may want to know, and monitor an evolutionary vitamin D level.