• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice.. blood and mucus

Just looking for some advice. Some background. Diagnosed with Lymphocytic Colitis and moderate hemorrhoids in June after have bad abdominal pain and diarrhea that kept getting worse. I have been on Entocort 9mg since June, did a short stint of Delzicol and switch to Lialda recently. Also take Omezaprole. Tonight, new symptom. Sorry to get more graphic. Once in awhile I will have mucus in my stool. I had abdominal cramping today and diarrhea, which has been much more under control than usual lately. I went to the bathroom tonight and one small bm came out. It was covered in mucus and the entire tail end was mucus and blood. I have never seen blood like that in my stool, there have been a few spots here and there on the toilet paper. Should I be concerned? New to all of this and not sure what to and not to expect. I do plan on calling my GI's office in the morning as he told me to notify him of any new symptoms.

David

Co-Founder
I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been a bit scary :( I know the first time I saw blood in my stool it scared the heck out of me (turned out to be hemorrhoids) Was the blood bright red or dark red?

Thanks for the reply David. The blood was bright red and pink. Some in the mucus and some outside of it. Called the gi and they want me to have clear liquids for 24 hours and go to ER if pain increases or I get a fever. Call back tomorrow for an update. They gave no indication of what they thought it was though, andi have no idea what to think. I started to get the random pains in my abdomen that feel like electric shocks again. They had been gone for months. Today it is less intense but still some pain.

Hi Lanz,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Seeing (more) blood and mucus could be a sign that you have a flare, so I think you did the right thing contacting the doctor.

I have blood and mucus in my stool all the time atm, and a lot of the time there is just mucus and blood coming out. All my blood tests have come back normal, so the doctors haven't decided to act on it. I'm not familiar with your diagnosis, but if I see what you described, it is usually because I'm flaring, and there are parts of my colon that are more inflamed than others, which makes the BMs differ in terms of amount of mucus and blood.

I hope you feel better soon! Hopefully your doctor will see whether you need to be put on different meds or if there is anything that can be done.