• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Advice for Waterproofing Colostomy Bag

First off, I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong subforum. :runaway:

I saw a video on YouTube a while back about using Glad Press 'n Seal and waterproof tape in order to keep one's colostomy bag dry when showering. An ostomy nurse recommended Hy Tape (pink, waterproof). I tried it just 30mins ago, but as soon as the water hit it, it completely fell off. :(

SarahBear

Hello, AJY84. I've moved your thread into the Stoma subforum so that someone with experience on the matter should see it and be able to help you. :)

I can't offer anything other than to echo what Grotbags said. My bag doesn't get affected by showering. I don't cover mine at all in the shower. If I were going to go swimming for hours at a time, I might look into some sort of waterproofing, but not for a shower. What issues are you having?

The tape surrounding the wafer gets wet and lifts up, which causes the wafer itself to begin to lift up a few hours later. Which in turn requires an entire bag change. I have found a water proof cover online for $20 that I purchased. Hopefully it will help some. :)

Mines sticks even more after a shower, funny how every bodies so different.
I have seen ones on eBay that stick all around your skin so the wafer would be protected too.
Hope you find something that helps .

DJW

Forum Monitor
I don't do anything extra to my bag when showering. I do use a washcloth on the front...I don't face the shower.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi I just showered as usual and even had a bath for upto half an hour without any problems,I also used a hairdryer on low heat to dry the pouch off if I was in a rush, that will also help to re stick the wafer..or should do in most cases!!

Just to understand, are you guys saying that you don't change your appliance after a shower? That you just dry it out and get going? Im really interested in products at the moment. Really don't find they are made for people to be active and consistently undermine activities. Thanks for your feedback

fuzzy butterfly

Just to understand, are you guys saying that you don't change your appliance after a shower? That you just dry it out and get going? Im really interested in products at the moment. Really don't find they are made for people to be active and consistently undermine activities. Thanks for your feedback
Hi thats right i didnt change my pouch after every shower or bath, if it was change day i would shower then change it, its just a case of trial and error the products till you find what works best for you , they all vary slightly. most ostomy supply companys are happy to send free samples if you ask, either ring or go online and request free samples.. order as many different pouches, pastes ,rings, powders as you can and try them out. wishing you luck with finding the right equipment for you ,:ghug:

I have an ileo but I go swimming quite often and also don't change after a shower. I use strips of opsite flexifix tape around the edge of the flange and it really works wonders. completely waterproof and keeps everything stuck down for ages even after a swim.

I shower every morning and sometimes even a second shower in the evening, and just towel off and go. No changing the bag after a shower unless it its bag change day.

this is an old post, any follow up? I use a 2 piece convetec and find "waterproof tape" lacking water proof capabilities. we are talking about the bag or the wafer "ears" that come unglues from the steam or water? I cut down on showering b/c there is nothing out there to protect the stickiness of the wafter. the beg just towels off dry. the wafer is the problem.

I use a plastic shower cap kind of wound around few times and then stick a hair elastic arond it all to stop water coming in _ mainly so it isn’t wet on my clothes.
I do swim without a worry and even take long spas swithout Covering it up. .

Bufford

I don't have problems and have gone swimming with it. I am currently using a two piece system from Convatec. I make sure all the air is out of the bag while swimming or it will float and pull. I simply pull the swimming trunk up and over the bag and use an ostomy strap to hold it better to my body. When showering its important not to let the shower stream directly hit the edges of the flange or it will erode and loosen the appliance.