• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not in a flare-up state

I understand the increased symptoms associated with a flare-up. Weight loss, increased frequency of BMs, pain, inflamation are often described as a flare-up.
I often read people describing periods of a flare-up and getting back to normal. How would you describe your 'normal' condition when you are not in a flare-up though? Are you completely healthy?
If I were to describe my situation it is always bad, sometimes very bad and at times terrible. I never feel completely healthy. The disease is always active, and I have to find ways around it. I still describe my 'terrible' state as a flare-up, but unfortunately my normal state is still not OK.

Hi Paulk - feeling normal is exactly that - no syptoms. If you are not feeling good, then perhaps your treatment plan isn't working. What are you currently taking? How long have you been feeling not okay? We didn't know what "normal" was for my son until treatment was working effectively. Even though he didn't appear to be in a flare, he still had inflammation and this affected his appetite. You will know when you are feeling normal because everything is normal - appetite should be good - bathroom habits should be good, energy should be good, etc.

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your answer. My normal state is definitely not like it was before being diagnosed, and you are probably right that I need to revise my treatment. Glad to hear your son is doing well. It is so crucial during the growth years.