• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not sure if i did the right thing

K

Kate

not sure if i did the right thing

well as most of you know or have seen i have started a new job this week. well today was the third day that i was there and i mentioned to my boss that i had crohns. I played it down and tried to tell her that it isnt an huge issue but im not sure if she belived me. the reason i told her was cause she would find out sooner or later either by me popping pills or by being sore i did it with in a convo, but im just not sure i should have told her then or should have waited. did i do the right thing telling her then or should i have waited??? i feel really awful and my hubb and mum thought i should have waited but i just dont know and am now worried that they will think it is a big issue and for me its not.

D

DannyB

Hello my Kiwi Fruit,

I understand the situation that you are in however, you have to ask yourself when ever would be the right time to tell an employer that you have crohns. If for some reason your employer does become difficult with you then I think its probably not the best company to work for anyone or she is not a nice person in which case you'd have to go above her and discuss the situation with them.

I am sure you will be okay Kate and everything will work out for the best.

Im sure it will all work out. More than likely it will be to your advantage I would think, knowing ahead of time that you may have issues. But this is just one of those odd subjects :)

T

Trixie329

I probably would have told them even before I got hired. I am of the belief that if it effects their decision about me then I don't want to work for them.

It may be too that your boss doesn't know what crohns is and will now make an effort to understand which would be a bonus!

Best wishes.

D

DannyB

Hye Kate,

How did things go for you with your boss today? I hope your feeling pretty good. My thoughts are with you.

V

Valentina

thats a tough one Kate. Im sure you did the right thing, if it was a conversation that it was easy enough to drop the info into, maybe that means your boss is easy to talk to.. hope so.
Im sure it will all work out, but good luck anyways!

D

Donna

I for one think its a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" situation. If you tell them before they hire you, you may not get hired. If you tell them after you are hired, they could fire you for not being truthful when applying for the job. My experience is they wont hire you if you tell them on the application/interview. I know, been there. Twice. But, I think being up front about it early on is the best bet. Especially if you have a probationary period. If they see you are a good employee, they will most likely keep you on. However, if they don't like the idea that you have Crohn's...they could let you go. Again, darned if you do, darned if you don't. AND ... I am not trying to sound negative either, just trying to be realistic. Sadly, this disease doesn't care..but I do. :)

Good luck!
Donna

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I think you did the right thing Kate. They would find out eventually, and it is best to do it before things get bad. They would be much madder to find out when there was a problem than when everything was fine. This was actually something I was thinking about a couple of days ago, and I think you did what is best. Each situation is different, but on average the best thing to do was how you handled it.

K

Kate

well it wasnt mentioned to me today so it looks like its all ok......... thanks guys for your help