• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overweight with Crohns?

I saw my GE for the first time since another doctor suggested I might have Crohns. She ordered a colonoscopy and endoscopy, but said I probably don’t have Crohns because I don’t have diarrhea every day and am not under weight or losing weight. But that’s wrong, isn’t it? I know people with Crohns normally struggle with weight loss, but I read somewhere that people can also be overweight with Crohns. And don’t some people just have diarrhea during flares? I have very definite episodes that last 2-3 days about twice a month. The rest of the time, I’m fairly normal. But on those 2-3 days I have diarrhea, urgent multiple BMs, painful swallowing, heartburn, fatigue, bloating, gas, and abdominal pain. Each episode is followed by a new HS nodule. There’s such a definite pattern that my husband knows when I’m going to have an episode because it starts with heartburn.
I hope something—anything—shows up on these tests. I hate it when doctors act like I’m crazy. (Sorry, that was a question that turned into a rant. This is all just so frustrating.)

Scipio

It's very common for some Crohn's patients to not have diarrhea. I have had Crohn's for about 8 years now with no diarrhea to speak of. As a general rule diarrhea is more common in Crohn's patients with inflammation in the colon and constipation is more common for Crohn's patients with disease confined to the small bowel.

And for weight loss, again the rule doesn't apply to everyone. It's very common for Crohn's patients with active disease to lose weight, but not all do. And in fact some Crohn's patients are overweight. So I would definitely not rule out Crohn's on the basis of no diarrhea and no weight loss. The colonoscopy and endoscopy will be much more telling.

It's very common for some Crohn's patients to not have diarrhea. I have had Crohn's for about 8 years now with no diarrhea to speak of. As a general rule diarrhea is more common in Crohn's patients with inflammation in the colon and constipation is more common for Crohn's patients with disease confined to the small bowel.

And for weight loss, again the rule doesn't apply to everyone. It's very common for Crohn's patients with active disease to lose weight, but not all do. And in fact some Crohn's patients are overweight. So I would definitely not rule out Crohn's on the basis of no diarrhea and no weight loss. The colonoscopy and endoscopy will be much more telling.
Thank you! This doctor worries me. Hopefully the tests will done correctly!

I am giant. always have been. Crohn's for 30 years. 4+ surgeries. Humira, cimzia now remicade. A typical but still crohn's. There are exceptions to every "rule". No case is the same.

Thank you! That’s pretty much what I was thinking. It makes sense that a disease that affects something as large as the GI system would have different symptoms depending on where it is.