• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please can someone interpret colonoscopy results

Hi :)

I had my first colonoscopy today. It says abnormality : patchy edamatous mucosa towards my rectal region.

Can someone tell me what this means? And also is this why the colonoscopy was so painful for me? I’m due to see consultant in 2-3 this weeks but wasn’t given any treatment to start now. I’m not sure if this means inflammation and wondered what it mean

I’d be grateful of any help at all thanks so much x

cmack

Staff member
Hi,

To me... patchy means irregular, irregular in appearance, and edamatous means it's a
type of edema, which is an accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells, tissues, or body cavities. I would say you have several irregular shaped areas of watery fluid retention in or around the mucosal tissue found inside of your rectum. I'm not a doctor, but it could be caused by inflammation, in my opinion. Inflammation can have many causes though so it will need to be determined what caused it in your case.

Tell the doctor about the pain with the colonoscopy, that could be caused by lots of things. Be sure to mention it, because it usually doesn't hurt too terribly for me. I hope this helps.

Take good care.

Scipio

Patchy can mean not only irregular but also discontinuous. This is important because it is one of the key distinguishing features between Crohn's and UC. UC starts at the rectum and progresses by advancing upstream in the colon in a continuous manner. Crohn's, on the other hand, can start anywhere in the gut, not just at the rectum, and it progresses in a discontinuous fashion - i.e. "patchy."