• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible to have Crohn's with normal scopes?

Please can you give me some advice as I am feeling really down that I don't seem to be getting any closer to a diagnosis of what's wrong with me. All my symptoms seem to point to Crohns but not getting anything show up in scopes.

Here's my story:
I was under a consultant who was adamant I had IBS. However my diarrhea and fatigue got so bad that I was struggling to go out without fear of having an accident so I knew this couldn't simply be IBS so I got a second opinion. This has been going on since last October and is really affecting my life.

Family History:
Great Nan - diverticulitis
Nan - diverticulitis
Uncle - Colitiis
Aunt - Bowel Cancer

Tests so far:
Initial Fecal calprotectin - 501
ESR - 22
Colonoscopy - Normal
Admiited to hospital with suspected appendicitis, diagnosed Gastritis through scope
Repeated Fecal calprotectin - 89
Small Bowel Capsule Endoscopy - Normal

Ongoing symptoms:
Diarrhea (often with little warning so makes doing anything a nightmare) Stomach cramps
Fatigue
Really hard to eat even a sandwich some days

So my question is can you still have Crohns with normal scopes?

Whats everyone's experience with getting a diagnosis?

Last edited:
Please can you give me some advice as I am feeling really down that I don't seem to be getting any closer to a diagnosis of what's wrong with me. All my symptoms seem to point to Crohns but not getting anything show up in scopes.

Here's my story:
I was under a consultant who was adamant I had IBS. However my diarrhea and fatigue got so bad that I was struggling to go out without fear of having an accident so I knew this couldn't simply be IBS so I got a second opinion. This has been going on since last October and is really affecting my life.

Family History:
Great Nan - diverticulitis
Nan - diverticulitis
Uncle - Colitiis
Aunt - Bowel Cancer

Tests so far:
Initial Fecal calprotectin - 501
ESR - 22
Colonoscopy - Normal
Admiited to hospital with suspected appendicitis, diagnosed Gastritis through scope
Repeated Fecal calprotectin - 89
Small Bowel Capsule Endoscopy - Normal

Ongoing symptoms:
Diarrhea (often with little warning so makes doing anything a nightmare) Stomach cramps
Fatigue
Really hard to eat even a sandwich some days

So my question is can you still have Crohns with normal scopes?

Whats everyone's experience with getting a diagnosis?
Yes you can. Other tests that may reveal something include an MRI with contrast of the small bowel, an upper endoscopy and a pill cam.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have they checked pancreatic enzymes ???
Or as others said MRE /CTE imaging
Sometimes things fit on paper but not what is really going on
Ds fit a few GI dx very well on paper but tests were normal
And then one test showed Crohns
Which wasn't on our radar at all

So work with a GI who is willing to keep looking for answers
Even if it isn't Crohns
Good luck