• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Progress on New Oral Anti-TNF

Lady Organic

Staff member
Adherence to treatment is so much easier with a pill than with an infusion/injection. This will help people accepting more easily their medication, as it usually becomes an issue or a mental conflict I would say, to most of us, at some point in our journey with a chronic disease... So thats great news.

what is also very interesting about the drug as mentionned in the article:

'' OPRX-106 has the potential to “significantly lower side effects as it does not suppress the immune system while redirecting it in an anti-inflammatory direction, as opposed to the currently approved anti-TNF treatments, all of which are administered via injection or infusion, and carry potential short- and long-term side effects,” Ilan said in a statement.''

my little penguin

Staff member
Glad it’s an oral anti tnf
But it’s gut specific so doesn’t work like the other anti tnf drugs that cover multiply co-morbities
:(

Interesting. Someone I know was involved in a trial recently and they said they actually found the pill schedule to have much more of an impact on day-to-day life compared to injecting. They weren’t allowed to eat for 3 hours around the time they took the pills and they had three doses during the day. This meant they constantly had to remember to take pills all through the day and also they could only eat during small time windows, which they said impacted on their social life and also was inconvenient with work. Not sure what I’d prefer, although am on humira for the past month or so and haven’t found it too intrusive yet🤞🏽. I suppose regardless of the merits of each individual treatment, more choice is likely to be a positive thing.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Thanks for sharing Shab.

wow 3 pills a day on a empty stomach on top of it?
This seems like mission impossible for a long term treatment!!! :ack:
I already do it once a day with 6-mp when I wake up having to wait 1 hour before eating or I take my pill in the middle of the night if i wake up and this is already unpleasant. I cant imagine doing that 3 x a day. Would rather prefer an injection for sure!

Someone I know was involved in a trial recently and they said they actually found the pill schedule to have much more of an impact on day-to-day life compared to injecting. They weren’t allowed to eat for 3 hours around the time they took the pills and they had three doses during the day.
It's quite possible that these restrictions are just for trial participants, to make sure that food doesn't interact with the effects, and there will be less restrictions for people taking the pill once it's released (assuming it turns out to be effective).

You could be right, although I’m pretty sure that due to the method of delivery the contents of the gut are significant in terms of how effective the drug is at accessing and targeting the inflammation.

Looks like the trial is a once a day pill:

The phase II clinical trial is a randomized, open label, 2-arm study of OPRX-106 in 19 patients with active mild to moderate ulcerative colitis. Patients have been randomized to receive 2 mg or 8 mg of OPRX-106 protein administered orally, once daily, for 8 weeks.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/11/29/1210313/0/en/Protalix-BioTherapeutics-Completes-Enrollment-in-Phase-II-Clinical-Trial-of-OPRX-106-in-Patients-with-Ulcerative-Colitis.html

If they prove efficacy, this would be a very welcome addition to the current drugs on offer.