• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Psyllium husk for chronic diarrhea associated with Microscopic Colitis

David

Co-Founder
Hi everyone out there with Lymphocytic Colitis or Collagenous Colitis and chronic diarrhea. I was curious if any of you had tried psyllium husk to see if it helped with the chronic D? I know many people here with Crohn's Disease have had a lot of success with it. I don't have chronic D otherwise I'd try it. If you haven't tried, it, it may be something to discuss trying with your doctor. Psyllium is OTC but I think keeping your doctor in the loop is always a good idea.

Terriernut

:D I have!!! I have had chronic big D for 30 years. Flare or no flare. Heck, I have a colostomy and STILL big D.

Until I took psyllium Husks. I take them in capsules. Two a day, 750mg. I decided to stop taking them for two days to see if it REALLY worked. Yup. Right back to the big D again.

Two thumbs up from me for this product. I am soooo happy with it. I can now say I'm much more confident for a resection in the near future, simply because I have found something to keep me from living on the loo when I'm reversed!!!!! :dance:

It was probably around 20 years ago when i first took psyllium husk soluble fiber. It was one of the first ideas i tried to help the grumpy colon. I remember the night well. It was one to remember, and not in a pleasant way. It wasn't one of the worst nights I've had with this chronic D condition, but was a rare double whammy event of having the runs, along with upchucking.

Fiber is an odd item for me. When not well to the gut, it makes the condition worse. And yet when it seems I'm on the path to being well, fiber helps.