• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Folic Acid...

Do you need really to take folic acid with MX for the treatment ?
Or it is only to reduce side effects ?

if I have no side effects, can I choose to not take folic acid or I should take it anyway ?

thanks

Sure... I understand,
but I'm just wondering if it's part of the treatment with MX or if it is an optional pill

If I don't take the folic acid I get cracks in the corners of my mouth. I've had to ask to increase the folic acid to 3*5mg per week and that seems to work.
How much were you prescribed?

I would definitely take it.

nogutsnoglory

Yes, you need to take it because it's stopping your body from receiving it otherwise. Id ask the Dr about l-methylfolate instead which is the active folate and not the synthetic.

If I don't take the folic acid I get cracks in the corners of my mouth. I've had to ask to increase the folic acid to 3*5mg per week and that seems to work.
How much were you prescribed?

I would definitely take it.
2x5mg / week

For 10mg mx (I take it with humira)

2x5mg doesn't sound like you'd be overdoing it. I'm on 25mg MTX though and the 3* a week is only just enough.

crohnsinct

Late to the party but yes you should take it. My daughter stopped taking hers for a few weeks because she felt fine and she went anemic. Doc did blood tests and found low folate levels or some such thing and told her it was because she stopped taking her folic acid.

Thanks

I have a lot of muscles ache, I contacted my GI and he said it's probably the Mx (I started mx and humira at the same time)

I have to wait for more 1 week and if it doesn't get better he will lower the mx dose.

I don't know if the folic acid is helping but I will take it :)

What is the difference between standard folate tablets and l-methylfolate? I currently take 20mg mtx and 0.5 folate tablets daily . I find MTX tends to amplify my anxiety. Perhaps it has something to do with my folate absorption...?

nogutsnoglory

L-methylfolate is the active version the body recognizes fir absorption. Folic acid is synthetic and needs to go through several stages to turn into l-methylfolate. If your doctor is ok with it id definitely buy the active one.