• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question for the rectum-less

I’m about 5 weeks Post rectum removal after rectal stump blowout and I’m wondering from those that have had their rectum’s removed how long did the spasms lasts and how long till you could sit normally?

Thanks and I’ll take my answer off the air.

i had my op in 2015 when they took out the ramaining bit of large bowel i had left because it was troublesome at the tail end,didnt have any spasms,just a feeling of soreness,but after 3 weeks or so it wasnt as bad as i expected, couldnt sit oroperly but kept to one side,then an infection set in and ruined everything,opening the wound and leaving it unhealed untill last december when i had plastic surgery to close it, i would hope that infection free you will be up and about without pain sooner than you think,but dont rush it,its not worth it, its a hell of a place to have a wound, so here's hoping you get a good result from the surgery

i had my op in 2015 when they took out the ramaining bit of large bowel i had left because it was troublesome at the tail end,didnt have any spasms,just a feeling of soreness,but after 3 weeks or so it wasnt as bad as i expected, couldnt sit oroperly but kept to one side,then an infection set in and ruined everything,opening the wound and leaving it unhealed untill last december when i had plastic surgery to close it, i would hope that infection free you will be up and about without pain sooner than you think,but dont rush it,its not worth it, its a hell of a place to have a wound, so here's hoping you get a good result from the surgery
I had appointments this week with my colorectal Surgeon on Thursday and my plastic surgeon on Friday and they both stressed patience and lots of bed rest which I’m really not used to I’m usually very active but they don’t want it to open up.Over a decade ago I had a J-Pouch that burst and blew a hole at the top of the butt they were able to close it back then but a couple months before my surgery it opened and got an infection so they needed to close that as well as my rectum.As I start moving around more and doing stuff the spasms have gotten much worse they gave me Valium which worked great but made me super sleepy all day so they moved me to an antispasmodic and that’s works alright but one of the side effects is really bad diarrhea.

Both of my Doctors were very pleased with my recovery and how it’s healing but they said having so many surgeries at once including the bladder reconstruction it will take awhile till I feel like myself.