• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Regular checks if you are taking 5-ASA medicines

Hi everyone
You might see me in this group now and again - I have agreed to be monitor for 5-ASA/Mesalamine.

A bit about me: I have left-sided colitis although it is still the discussion if it is Crohns or UC. I take oral 5-ASA (Asacol) 3.2g daily (2 tablets in the morning and 2 in the evening, always after food). I also "take" a Pentasa suppository 1g every evening.

5-ASA can cause kidney damage and changes in blood results. This is RARE, but the advice in the Asacol information leaflet is to get regular blood and kidney (blood/urine) tests done to make sure you are not having these side effects. The written advice is to do tests every 3 months.

Does anyone get themselves checked out regularly? I have to admit I try and get blood and urine work about every 6 months but maybe I should do it more often.

Have a good day and night everyone.

Before I was on my other meds and was just on an ASA and prednisone I think my doc said bloodwork every 6 months. Now I'm on methotrexate which i get blood work every month for so its a null point but it would be interesting to see what kind of schedules others are on.

The longest my GI has ever let me go between blood work is 6 months. More often if I have worsening of symptoms...regardless of what med I have been on.

Hi
I was on sulfasalazine for about a year and had to have blood tests every 3 months otherwise the doctors would not look to prescribe. At the moment they have stopped it due to me having problems with my liver and now on weekly blood tests until I see the consultant.