• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade induced psoriasis

I am currently 23 years old and have been taking remicade since I was diagnosed in 2014. The problem is, this year my dermatologist told me I have remicade induced psoriasis, and it has continued to spread all over my body. I really want to switch to humira or stelara, but I don’t know if that would stop my psoriasis. Anyone have this problem too or have any advice?

My daughter was on Remicade + methotrexate for a year without any psoriasis problems, but when she dropped the mtx, she developed persistent psoriasis on her scalp. We took her in to a dermatologist, who recommended topical steroid creams; the one that helped the most was clobetasol.

In the end, she started developing Remicade antibodies after about 6 months off the mtx, so she went back on the mtx and the psoriasis went away, along with the Remicade antibodies.

Here is a thread in the Parents forum about Remicade-induced psoriasis:

https://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=46024&highlight=psoriasis

You might consider trying to add methotrexate if you aren't already on it, since once you go off Remicade you might not be able to go back to it. Good luck--I hope you can find something that works well for you.