• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Retrovaginal fistula????

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 19, I have tried quite a few pills for it but UCSF ended switching me to remicade when they diagnosed me with AS. I have been doing this treatment for 1.5 years now. They state I am in remission. I am not so sure.

For the last 3-6 months I have been having a strange vaginal discharge. It is dark yellow to orange and man does it stink. The problem is it is not constant but may happen for a week or two out of the month, I have not noticed that I am passing gas through my vagina. I have noticed that it only gets like this when I have a small flare with diarrhea multiple times a day. The outside of my vagina gets quite sore and feels like it is cracking. I have been to my OBGYN and they have given me a few creams which have not helped. Am I talking to the wrong doctor about this problem?

Hi Caitlyn

OBGYN aren't typically expert on fistulas. You need to see your GI and get a referral to a colorectal surgeon. The surgeon is the expert you need to rule out a fistula. They will do an examination and if they think its an abscess or fistula may recommend an outpatient proceedure. You go to the hospital and are put under light anesthesia. The doctor take a look and may put some non-toxic dye in your bum and see it runs out of the fistula track.

Long story short, the will clean out the pus and provide the fistula with an way to drain easily. The good news is its a one day outpatient procedure, usually relatively painless, and boy oh boy will you feel better if its causing any pain. You'll also feel stronger if the fistula is causing an infection. Its nothing to ignore, fistulas tend to get worse over time. Once they have a way to drain, they can heal.

Thank you for the reply. The reason I'm so nervous is because my GI that I love left the area. My new one w ouldnt even read my chart before seeing me. I called the colorectal surgeon I seen for my fissures and made an appt later this month. He said he'd see me and take a look without my GI sending me to him specifically. They said he could order any imaging I may need. Feel a little better about the situation now :)