• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Reversal and fasting

Dear all,

It's been 4 months since my initial sub-total colectomy (most of colon removed) with end ileostomy, and almost 3 months since my revision of the stoma due to peristomal fistula. I don't know how rare this is but I have got another peristomal fistula with this revised stoma, but a recent MRI had shown no sign of disease in the small bowel so this may be a surgical related error...

Anyway, after review my consultant and surgeon reckon the next step is a reversal at around 6 months....

I have read around and know that it takes months for the bowel function to return to normal i.e. lots of BM per day. I currently empty my pouch about 3-5 times per day (half pouches). My question is once I have had the reversal can I gain more control of the BM/have no BM if I were to say fast (not eat) i.e. if I needed to go out/work etc?

Regards

I certainly can't, if I fast, there's still stuff comes out, it's like a greenish coloured gloop.
You'd be better off using Loperamide or eating marshmallows to slow output.