• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton wire

Hi, new here and just looking for some advice.

I'm not sure if Im posting in the right section but basically I developed a perianal abscess and had it incised and drained on the 23rd of Aug. It came back a few days later so I had it drained again on the 29th.

I was doing ok until the 5th when it started to get sore again and I ended up in hospital on Saturday to have it drained again.

The dr explained that the abscess had formed between two muscles so there was a pocket at the top a thinner part in the middle then a pocket at the bottom. The thinner part was healing before the top pocket which was causing it to return so whilst not a fistula, they fitted a seton wire to keep it open and allow it to heal fully.

Im here as I am supposed to be going on holiday to the Dominican Republic on Thursday for a fortnight. The dr at the hospital said she thinks I would be fine to go but I was wondering if people who have experience with them thought it would be ok?

I had never heard of them before waking up in the recovery room with one so have no idea what to expect.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
ami