• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sigmoidoscopy

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I know a lot of you have had Colonoscopys, but was wondering if you ever had a Sigmoidoscopy. A Sigmoidoscopy is the little brother to a Colonoscopy :). The good news is while the entrance is the same as its big brother, they do not go as far, so it does not last as long. The bad news is that you are not put on IV or given any medication or sedation, so you get to experience the whole few minutes of fun! :)

I do not know why they would do these, as a colonoscopy gives the exact same information, plus it goes even further (and you can be asleep for all of it... well at least most of it). While it is not exactly a very painful experience, it is uncomfortable. They fill you with air as well so you are lying there feeling bloated and well... a little invaded :eek: .

Want my advice? If your doctor is thinking about having you do a Sigmoidoscopy ask for a Colonoscopy instead (assuming you will be knocked out during it of course :)).

R

ReeRee

I had ONE. And I pray I never have to have another one! Horrible torture devices those things. You'd think they'd find a less barbaric way of doing that.

My first colonoscopy, they didn't even give me any pain meds (That doctor was a pain in the ass, literally). Now every time I have to have one, I have panic attacks and they have to give me Valium and promise to knock me out or I'll run away screaming.

R

Rob17870

I had just been diagnosed a few weeks back and my doctor wanted to do a colonoscopy. Being 15 I was alittle freaked out about having a camera inserted into my butt. The only reason i decided to go through with the procedure was becuase my doc had promised me a few times that i would not feel a thing. the day of the colonoscopy i was given some grape tasting stuff. It made me a little sleepy but i was never put under. So after arguing with the doctors they some how convinced me that this was the only way to do it and I would just have to endure the discomfort. So as I laid on my said growning from the pain, i remember feeling so lied to by my doctor. It was probably one of the worst expieriences ive had at the hospital.

R

Rob17870

Rob17870 said:
I had just been diagnosed a few weeks back and my doctor wanted to do a colonoscopy. Being 15 I was alittle freaked out about having a camera inserted into my butt. The only reason i decided to go through with the procedure was becuase my doc had promised me a few times that i would not feel a thing. the day of the colonoscopy i was given some grape tasting stuff. It made me a little sleepy but i was never put under. So after arguing with the doctors they some how convinced me that this was the only way to do it and I would just have to endure the discomfort. So as I laid on my said growning from the pain, i remember feeling so lied to by my doctor. It was probably one of the worst expieriences ive had at the hospital.
My Doc promised i would be put under and be totally asleep and not feel a thing. Thats what i meant to say.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Yeah, it definately is not a fun experience! I am sorry it was so bad for you Rob. I remember waking up during it and at first thinking it would be a lot of fun to see the tv screen (to see my insides). But as they moved the camera I could see all this liquid and the way it looked inside me.... it was something I do not think I would want to be looking at if I was having my colonoscopy again.