• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Spine fusion surgery

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi all,

This isn't a crohns related question (and, it's my son, not me who has crohns) but I'm hoping I may be able to tap into some knowledge and experience from members here.

I need to have spinal fusion surgery and I know that a number of members have mentioned having this surgery (often related to crohns EIM/arthritis).

The reason for my surgery is that due to Spondylolisthesis , a cyst has developed at the L4/L5 location. The cyst is now pressing down on spinal nerves and causing considerable pain. Unfortunately, no amount of physio, massage, weight loss or any other pain treatment can offer any kind of permanent treatment/relief because, as long as the cyst is there, the nerve will continue to be compressed.

The surgery will remove the cyst and a cage will be placed between the L4/L5 discs.

Any advice, experiences, thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks MLP. Unfortunately, it'll still be a few months before the surgery can be scheduled. Which, is maybe ok, as it will let me adjust to the idea! o_O

I sent Maya a PM as well. :) I'm pretty sure I recall her mentioning spinal fusion surgery...

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks Jo. Surgery seems to be the only route to go... considering the wait for surgery, I am still going to go ahead and try physio again (have apptmt coming up at Mt. Sinai spinal physio) and to lose some weight... even if neither treats the cyst, it may help the pain and will be beneficial prior to surgery. And, you never know... while not common or likely, there are instances where the cysts spontaneously rupture??? Positive thoughts, right?!?

Hi Tesscorm,
You sure have been dealing with that pain for a very long time. How are you managing it now? I think I mentioned this before, but acupuncture and/ or IMS could be very helpful to treat the secondary problems of muscle spasm and imbalance resulting from the problem. And you never know, the acupuncture may help your body to reabsorb the cyst intermittently, so that you may actually get some breaks form the pain while you wait for the surgery. When I had my very severe, electrical-shock like pain down my arm form my huge cervical disc protrusion, I had acupuncture and then later when I bruised my spinal cord I had IMS and both of these treatments helped greatly. In my opinion, the acupuncture helped my body reabsorb the disc protrusion--the docs said it is very rare to have one that size 'disappear'--and it helped me avoid surgery. The disc was extruded as well, meaning it had actually broken off and was getting squashed when I moved around and then it was putting the pressure on the nerve root to my arm. What fun times that was. Not!! I so hope that the surgery happens soon. :)

I am no help with the spinal fusion--techniques have changed too much over the years.