• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Modulen Diet

Would like to find someone who is on/starting the sole nutritional drink Modulen, I have been on it previously to good effect years ago and I am starting it within the next couple of days, would love to help support someone whilst on this Modulen diet and be able to relate to someone going through a similar situation- as I know it is tough to stick to,
Bobbet :)

I hope you get answers soon regarding other members taking it. There are members who have taken Modulen before, just not me. Good luck!
Thanks for your positive reply I will post how I am doing on it throughout the 8 weeks to help others in the future decide if it worth trying it :)

Day 1: of sole nutritional drink Modulen, I have noticed that I actually have some energy, I don't think the food I was eating before starting the Modulen was being absorbed as I could not get off the sofa, had absolutely zero energy and I was faint and dizzy from a lack of food. So it's been nice to have some energy😊. Modulen is easy to absorb and does not need to be broken down by the body I think this is why I have some energy quite soon after I drank the 1st shake. I have not been hungry at all today but have been distracting myself. Other symptoms of the crohns flare are all still there so no change there yet.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has done it more than few times with peptamen jr (similar to modulen)
Keep up the good work take it one day at a time

Chewing crushed ice can help
The body needs to chew
Verify of table sugar (cane sugar is allowed)
Some put a sprinkle on the crushed sugar
Pure sugar can be turned in to
Cotton candy which helps some

Mainly keep the formula very cold
Indulge in fancy tossable tall coffee cups with lids
Lids and straws help
A lot
Ds still drinks 50% if his calories from neocate jr chocolate (elemental formula)
Modulen is semi elemental

Good luck

Day 3: Had a bad/miserable day hunger wise yesterday (day 2) but I could not keep myself busy as I was quite tired so spent a lot of time laying on the sofa..
Today I have the energy back that I had on the first day😊..I feel my body is using the energy from the shakes soon after I drink each one..my stomach seems flatter (not so bloated) secondary inflammation seems to be going down (lower back pain, migraines subsiding) and my head feels much clearer (was having fussy head/could not think straight) hope things carry on improving as the weeks go on.

my son used it many times and the results was great , always first week you will feel hungry then your body will adapt and start your life normally , this shake will put you in remission hopefully as it has anti inflammatory effect you can use different flavors with it as a change that will help you to continue the 8 weeks and my advice to you to do it longer at least 10 weeks and best result will be 12 weeks to guarantee complete healing

Hi
long back I didnt post here, my son has no symptoms since he is diagnosed on 2014, he is now 20 yrs and a graduate and passed through too much stress in the university since he started this year in sept 2017 his calprotectin was 24 then in january 2018 raised to more than 1000 entacort started for 1 month 9 mg then 6 mg and during that calprotectin was 1520 then again till now we raised entacort to 9mg again and after 1 month calprotectin was 1890 !!! during this time we introduced probiotic with prebiotic for the first time 6 Billion and then after one month we got one with 21 billion with prebiotic , diarrhoea started for the first time since 2014 and some feverish and gases my son start modulen IBD liquid one month ago now and one meal with it only we stopped probiotic and withing 3 days gases , fever and Diarrhoea stopped but he is feeling cramps not painful one its like pressure and movement in the abdomen and like sound
he is very worried and hate to do colonoscopy

any idea if this is a kind of flare up or its probiotic effect
as during this journey with crohns calprotectin always up and down without symptoms , only this time symptoms occurred with probiotic and Manuka honey added to him
please waiting to hear your experience

Thank you for your message of advice, Just trying to get myself through the 8 weeks at the moment🙈..I will have a really good think about sticking it out for the 12 weeks once I reach my 8 weeks especially as I have only did it once before for 8 weeks (8 weeks worked well for me) but if 12 weeks works even better then I may well do it.

Day 4: My energy is still up today, all day long😊..my stomach seems to be settling down a lot and not drawing attention to itself (Im usually constantly aware of my stomach, with niggles, awful pains, upset, constipation) it's also been nice not to worry about the toilet as I am not going/will not need to go hardly at all on this modulen. All signs are looking good at the moment. I am only drinking 4x shakes a day since starting it (this is only 1000cals) so i am a little worried I am not having enough calories, but I will build up to 5x shakes next week and then 6x shakes the week after.

Hi bobbet,
I did a modulen only diet 18 years ago that lasted 8month, and started back a partial diet this year replacing some meal with modulen. You can ask me further info if you need.

I think 1000cals is way too low, when you say 1 shake what do you mean exactoy in terms of modulen quantity?

When i was on a full modulen diet i had 4 shake a day that amounts to more than 2kcal...

Hi, your message is so welcome thank you😊. I went on modulen once before for 8 weeks in 2014 and it worked well for me. I was on a lot more shake and calories back then but unfortunetly I have to ease myself in to any new eating plan these days, so I am sticking to 4x shakes (6 xscoops per shake (this is 50g of modulen and 250 calories per shake)) and hoping to build up to the full 6x shakes within the next fortnight. I can remember something about being allowed other items to drink when i went on this in 2014 but am unsure at the moment so I am sticking to black coffee and modulen shakes only until i get to see my specialst/dietician as that is the only thing i can remember being allowed to have on it.

Day 8: I've had a miserable couple of days mentally wanting to eat something-forgot just how tough this diet is😪food is everywhere, it's part of the fabric of everyones daily life and to step outside that for 8 weeks is tough going mentally. My hunger is not so bad, i just want to feel something in my belly, to feel full. Seeing everyone eating has been real hard. My sense of smell is so much more sensative since stopping the food, i can smell food stuff from miles away-this does not help. I have stuck with it my attitude is "anything but sticking to this Modulen for 8 weeks is just not an option". So I'm plodding on. On a positive note my skin rash is subsiding, my migraines have gone and my belly is not bloated, pain and sickness easing, so some of the symptoms are getting better. I have developed a cold today so my energy is not as good as it had been but that is probably due to this cold. I am getting through this 1 week at a time and ticking that off as i go along as the thought of another 7 weeks is just too much for my mind to get around.

cmack

Staff member
Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing the right thing with the modulen. It seems like it is helping. I know how hard it can be to quit foods, even for a week or two. I had a hard time becoming vegetarian, it got easier though. Now I'm used to, and proud of, my healthy diet. I wouldn't go back for anything. You can do it. :)

Thank you cmack for the support☺..hope the vegetarian diet is serving you well. Did you go on it to help with your Crohns? It is working for me I know compared to how I was before starting the modulen so I am hanging in there-barely. 1 day at a time. Could murder a sandwich mind😂.

cmack

Staff member
I was already in partial remission, unknowingly having lingering extra intestinal manifestations from unspecified IBD when I started the diet. It made me feel a way better after sticking to it a couple months. It doesn't "cure" anything but I do feel more energy and feel pretty good. That's just my experience with diet, for anybody else to eat, who knows what's best. It can be, and usually is very individual. I do know the sandwich feeling... I hope you are doing okay.

Day 10: Spent the whole day yesterday (Day 9) on the sofa laying down flat on my back due to a cold so the lethargy I was feeling the previous 2 days I think was due to that. I've woken up today feeling so much more myself I can't remember when I felt so "not ill" last- it's been months!! so I am so grateful (hope it lasts). My energy is good, mood has improved as I'm not dragging myself through the day. Secondary issues have almost gone. My stomach is behaving. Been to the loo a little which has helped a lot I think (my crohns has changed over the Past few years and It tends to constipate/block off the bowel now). Signs are the inflammations going down. I have been taking my Modulen frozen, leaving it defrost slightly and then eating as though it's ice-cream, far more satisfying than drinking a shake. I am up to 5x shakes a day now (50g modulen 250 calories per shake). Hope this is a sign of things to come but I have my resolve back and am determined to get to the 8 weeks. I've kept busy all day today and even forgot to take my shakes on time so food hasn't been on my mind much. Key on this diet is keeping busy as my "bad days" I find are the days when I am stuck in the house, my mind then wanders on to food.

I was already in partial remission, unknowingly having lingering extra intestinal manifestations from unspecified IBD when I started the diet. It made me feel a way better after sticking to it a couple months. It doesn't "cure" anything but I do feel more energy and feel pretty good. That's just my experience with diet, for anybody else to eat, who knows what's best. It can be, and usually is very individual. I do know the sandwich feeling... I hope you are doing okay.
If it works for you then stick to it. Do you mind me asking what your typical day of food looks like? So that I can grasp what type of foods yoir eating. Ive always eaten super healthy and don't touch no junk. As much as possible I eat natural whole foods as mother nature intended.

cmack

Staff member
Sure, I can share more info about my diet. For one I eat most things raw, cooked is fine for me too. I eat, "green smoothies" (because they usually end up green) :lol: for the main part of my diet. They consist of a lot of different things. I start with crushed raw garlic and a small banana, then add some organic kale, spinach, broccoli, leaf lettuce, radicchio,(1 cup or so total veggies per 500 ml) a couple walnuts, 1 tbsp organic turmeric, 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, a thumb size, cut up piece of ginger root and two tbsp organic ground brown flax seed. I also add blueberries strawberries or pears as are in season. I put anything in that I like sometimes too, as long as it is fruit or vegetables. To this I add filtered water. I put no limit on how much of this I eat, however I usually have a litre or so. The rest of the day it's fruit, veggies, chickpeas, rice and soups mainly. I eat the odd egg, maybe two a month, I love pickled eggs. :)

Last edited:
Sure, I can share more info about my diet. For one I eat most things raw, cooked is fine for me too. I eat, "green smoothies" (because they usually end up green) :lol: for the main part of my diet. They consist of a lot of different things. I start with crushed raw garlic and a small banana, then add some organic kale, spinach, broccoli, leaf lettuce, radicchio,(1 cup or so total veggies per 500 ml) a couple walnuts, 1 tbsp organic turmeric, 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, a thumb size, cut up piece of ginger root and two tbsp organic ground brown flax seed. I also add blueberries strawberries or pears as are in season. I put anything in that I like sometimes too, as long as it is fruit or vegetables. To this I add filtered water. I put no limit on how much of this I eat, however I usually have a litre or so. The rest of the day it's fruit, veggies, chickpeas, rice and soups mainly. I eat the odd egg, maybe two a month, I love pickled eggs. :)
Thank you for sharing cmack this diet sounds very anti-inflammatory☺ I eat a lot of those things myself daily when not flaring, ginger tea is another one I constantly drink that is really good for it's anti-inflammatory affects. Once I off the modulen I will have a lovely smoothie so looking forward to that😌. We cannot underestimate the affects of a healthy diet for our condition- it keeps the rest of the body strong.

Day 12: Food hasn't bothered me at all today or yesterday (day 11) so glad to of overcome the bad few days of wanting to eat something. My appitite has disapeared and i can now look at food and not be bothered with thoughts of wanting it. My energy's been fine all day and i feel ok. I don't feel ill at all. My colds gone. Few niggles lower right side but things have settled down nicely compared to what they were. Secondary inflammations almost gone completely. I can't believe it's been almost 2 weeks on the Modulen only ( although some days have seemed like forever🙈) Im so glad i started it as the results have been very good for me so far and the time is going quite quick. This shake has literally kept me out of the hospital and pulled my out of a really bad flare. Just hope i keep improving. I'm a quarter of the way through so just over 6 weeks to go☺

Day 18: I've had a few bad days, inflammation (arthritis) had flared up in my lower back again and the migraines have been back. It's asthough the flare is trying to take over my body but somethings trying to fight it off-almost like a war going on and just as i think my bodys winning the inflammation, my body gets knocked down for a few days again by it. I started feeling better again yesterday and have continued to improve again today. On 5x shakes a day still, although i should be on more- it's what i can tolerate at the moment. Energy's been ok the last 2 days. Appetite has completely gone and my food cravings have gone, i do feel like my bodys having/using what it needs from the Modulen which is great. (Im not too worried about the small setbacks as i had such a severe flare i was ill enough to be admitted to the hospital, I have improved loads looking back to how i was before i starting the Modulen)

Day 23: Had a set back over the last few days of what the dr seems to think is a looped bowel that has stuck together and caused an infection in the bowel, so i am on antibiotics starting today to hopfully sort that out, been in pain, haven't been able to move off the sofa for days and have zero energy..I have been craving a sandwich for a couple of days but i think thats to do with being ill and in pain and just wanting some comfort food and not to do with my appetite..im up to 6x shakes a day now and feel like my weight is steadying (not losing anymore). Good news my inflammation marker was down to 1 and in the normal range when tested on Monday (3 weeks on modulen) All my secondary inflammation symptoms also seems to be gone again. This is my forth week on modulen, Im hoping to pick up again energy wise once i get this infection under control.

cmack

Staff member
I hope you are feeling better soon from the antibiotics, that sounds like it hurts. What all did they give you, cipro and flagyl? I always need at least a ten day course of the big boy pills or else I seem to get the infection back. Hang in there bobbet.

They gave me co-amoxiclav cmack and strong painkillers..I'm not going to lie it is agony but I'm bracing myself and willing myself through this..I'm so glad not to be on flagyl (from past experience it works but the side effects are horrid yuck). I am trying to get out for a short walk sometime today as i haven't moved off my sofa laying down for 4 days..thank you for your support throughout this journey of mine cmack I really appreciate it If i can help you in the future anytime please let me know ☺

Day 26: Still pretty poorly from the bowel infection I am layed up still on the sofa all day but forcing myself to taking a 30 min walk every day just to keep my blood circulating (don't want to end up with a clot to top it all off) . I am currently on 6x shakes Modulen daily I am taking them all frozen then slightly defrosted so that it tastes kind of like ice-cream and digging in to it seems like I'm actually eating something, to me it is far more satisfying to eat it in this way. I truly believe if it wasn't for this infection I would be bouncing about on this Modulen as I was picking up lovely after 2/3 weeks on it. 2 more days and I'm half way through!! Only 4 weeks to go then!!

Day 28: I started to feel a lot better today from the bowel infection, I feel as though the antibiotics are starting to work. A bit more energy. My food craving have gone and I don't even fancy any food, the thought of eating now does not bother me so it does not seem like I'm fixated on eating in 4 weeks time like I had been. Last day of week 4. So 4 more weeks to go!!

Day 30: On 6x shakes a day, still having them all frozen then slightly defrosted. My body has taken very well to the Modulen, as i remember it did previously when i was on it many years ago. I am so lucky I have this to fall back on in bad times. Hunger is non existent, still don't even fancy any food, neither am i thinking about food. I feel as though i could go longer than the 8 weeks planned. Nice to see the change as the weeks go on as i was so fixated on food and eating early on in my journey- so those in the future reading this and about to start this diet hold on it will get much better.

Day 33: Had a horrendous couple of days. Got admitted to the hospital yesterday, awaiting an mri to see if my bowel is perforated or any infection/absess is causing me to feel so ill, i cant stop shaking. My inflammation level has been checked and is normal. Having iv antibiotics, fluids and pain relief. Feel like death-i'm just coming around after 2 days of being totally out of it. Can't even walk by myself im just dropping to the floor. For 2 days have been sick and have not been able to hold anything down modulen or water. Hoping to resume the modulen once I'm able to tolerate anything and come off nil by mouth.

Day 34: I am picking up lovely today thank you cmack. I had to be carried in to the hospital as i was so ill i felt like i was dying on the trip over and i genuinely believe that i was, i couldn't feel my limbs, i said to my family im dying i won't make it to the hospital- i felt my spirit leave my body. How i made it i do not know. Today i haven't felt so well and myself in months. I am building my walking up to a few paces every hour around the bed. I am awaiting the dr tomorrow to see if i am having an mri scan (my ct scan i had yesterday came back clear) but the iv antibiotics are working very well now. I am so thankful to that first surgeon who saw me when i was first admitted and started strong iv antibiotics straight away. I don't think i got rid of that bowel infection i had a couple of weeks ago. I went to a&e twice over a 10 day period and they sent me home even when i begged them i was so ill and in pain. I am so lucky that my family got me to my gp (he is brilliant with me) and he addmitted me to the hospital. I have a lot of people to thank in the coming weeks. I am drinking more Modulen than i ever have im on around 2500 calories worth which is around 10 x shakes ( i am also drinking them as shakes as there is loads to consume). I had lost 8kg when they weighed me when i was admitted on friday. Being on anti sickness medication through the iv i am now holding them all down so i am hoping to put on all the weight ive lost quite quickly. A little more complicated modulen diet review than i was expecting to give but so we all live with this complicated disease.
Bobbet alive and kicking..thankfully!!

cmack

Staff member
I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better, bobbet!:) Get lots of rest and take good care. You make sure to stay in the hospital as long as it takes to get over your infection, that sounds like it was a pretty bad one. Yikes!

6 weeks on modulen: Had to come off the modulen after 6 weeks under the Dr and dieticians advice..(currently in the hospital) i am very disappointed to say the least not to make it to 8 weeks. The last 2 weeks on looking back seemed asthough i was unable to absorb it or it just was not sustaining me like it had. Over the last few days ive been limp unable to lift my body, head, arms or walk. I have had loads of infections and currently have a viral infection. I have a lot of faith in the modulen working to heal the inflammation as my markers were normal after 3 weeks on it and i was putting on weight. Plus it worked well for me previously. They put me back on small amounts of food and after 1 day i started picking up energy wise and was able to lift my head, arms and walk a little so i was happy with that as i knew instantly the food was then feeding me but after 24 hrs on food I have also started bleeding so i am hoping to cut the food and start a strict lofflex or elimination diet tomorrow not to ruin all my 6 weeks effort, this will then hopfully allow me to see any allergys or intolerances i may have to any foodstuff. See my other thread if interested in going on to the lofflex/elimination diet following modulen diet ☺

my little penguin

Staff member
We’re you only drinking 3-4 shakes a day at 250 calories per day ??
I only ask since my kiddo has to drink 8-9 shakes a day at 250 per shake
That would explain the fatigue etc...
He was only 7 when he had to drink 8 shakes

Elemental formula has no intact proteins
All amino acid based so you only need a few inches of healthy intestine
Can’t be allergic to it

Hope you feel better soon

Thank you for your reply MLP
When i first started it 6 weeks ago i could only tolerate 4x shakes a day as i was being sick a lot then so i built up to 6+ (started to put on a little weight) and was taking a huge amount of it in the end. I do not think that i was allergic to it as the ingredients are so basic i couldn't possibly and it has worked well for me in the past and i would go on it in the future if i needed to again but keep a closer eye on my weight so that i know i was taking the correct amount. It is complicated as i have had so many infections so maybe my body needed far more than even 2000-3000 calories i was having in the end. I do not think it was anything to do with the modulen in the end i just think i needed so many more calories than they told me to take and my body was just not having enough calories to fight off all the infections. I am not happy about coming off it before the 8 weeks but being so ill i had to listen to the advice of the dr and dietician.

cmack

Staff member
I bet you are right that your body was burning calories like crazy to fight the infections. That has happened to me before, when I first got ill, I lost 65lbs or more. I got better, I hope you do too, starting really soon. Hang in there bud, you can gain it back once you improve more.

Hi bobbet, thanks for posting all of this. I have just started on the Modulen IBD yesterday. I have to do 5 shakes of 12 scoops per day, so 500grams daily. I am struggling already! It is just so much of the same smell/taste is a bit sickening. I only managed 3 shakes yesterday and today. But I will stick at it and hopefully tomorrow get some Nesquik chocate flavouring and a few boiled sweets to have something different. Good idea about freezing it! I am constantly thinking about food so far as my kids are always eating and grazing, but hopefully it eases as I really want something to work and help. My Crohn’s symptoms symptoms haven’t eased since July 2017. I tried Humira and started Simponi last week so fingers crossed that the new biologic and the Modulen diet both work well. I hope you are well, that is a pretty scary journey you have had! And to stick at it for 6 weeks is amazing, well done