• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma and dementia

Hi I myself am a stomata. I used to regularly used this forum, but for some reason I am no longer a member.

Anyway my parents have both got dementia and to top it all off my father had a bowel obstruction that perfed and has ended up with a colostomy.

I am trying to help educate mum and dad who are still in their own home. with some support, how to manage the stoma but is not really working. The stoma will be permanent as he ended up on a respirator after the anaesthetic so dr will only operate in a. Emergency.

Does anyone know of any companies that have great teaching resources??
I can't be with them 24/7 as I have young children, a job and a husband who is often away for work.
Thanks in Advance.

Hi I myself am a stomata. I used to regularly used this forum, but for some reason I am no longer a member.

Anyway my parents have both got dementia and to top it all off my father had a bowel obstruction that perfed and has ended up with a colostomy.

I am trying to help educate mum and dad who are still in their own home. with some support, how to manage the stoma but is not really working. The stoma will be permanent as he ended up on a respirator after the anaesthetic so dr will only operate in a. Emergency.

Does anyone know of any companies that have great teaching resources??
I can't be with them 24/7 as I have young children, a job and a husband who is often away for work.
Thanks in Advance.

I have just realised I got my login wrong. So now I have 2 accounts.

Hi I'm from Victoria myself here we have stoma associations that help with education and supplies etc. Also there should be a stomal therapy nurse that can help I have one and she is fantastic with education tip's and tricks and mental health support

Also see if the hospital that did the surgery has any services that can help with post-op