• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma bag

stoma bag

Hey guys,

I have just got home after having surgery on another section of Crohn's and ended up walking away with a loop ileostomy. I am 26 years old and was not expecting to walk away with a 'shit bag' attatched to me for a minimum of 3mths (yes luckily this one is apparently reversable). I think i am used to it being there and getting use to the day to day life of having one. but still days are early and i have not gone out in public yet or (certainly not) gone back to work yet.

Who else has one and what are your stories?

Nyx

I replied to your story thread, so I might be repeating myself here, but here goes...

I had a colostomy last December, so my bag is fairly new (two months old tomorrow!). So far, it hasn't been too bad. The only things that sort of mortified me were the weird farting noises coming from my stomach (although the kids think it's hilarous) and the fact that my clothes don't really fit right now. My bag's permanent, so I've named it....lol...Oscar. I figure I might as well make the best of it. And like I said in my previous post, I feel great now! I still have some body issues, and sex is a bit weird right now, but I think in time I'm going to get over those.

I went out in public the day after I got out of the hospital. I just decided that I can't be a hermit, and if people can't get over a little noise from my stomach, I don't care! All of my friends know that I have a bag and have been amazingly supportive...they've even started asking how Oscar is....lol

That's pretty much my story...good luck with your bag! It's not that bad a thing :)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Clubber....I don't have one, but their are quite a few people here who do. Please don't let this disease isolate you. No one can tell if you have a bag....And, it is nothing to be ashamed of!

Nyx
I went to tesco's (supermarket) last night, been out of hospital since the 16th. Thought I may as well get it over with. I'm certainly not going to let something like this affect the way I live my life!!!

Good luck!

Nyx

Good for you Clubber!! You have the right attitude :) There are worse things in the world that could happen to us!