• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stoma wash out

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
stoma wash out

bear with me on this please.
i read somewhere that us who have stomas can have a "wash out" it wasnt called that but i cant think of its proper name, sorry.
anyway after the "wash out" we can be bag free for 4 days.
does anyone have anymore info about this?
has anyone tried it?
and how do you "wash out?"

Nyx

This is all I could find after a short surf....it's near the bottom of the page.

http://www.alcare.co.jp/e/homehealth/stomacare/index.html

I haven't tried it, and not sure I'd like to! I've had enemas before (prior to surgery) and found them unpleasant to say the least. I don't think I'd like to do this every other day. But then again, I'm pretty regular right now and only change my bag twice a day.

I can't see how you could go for days without a bag....unless you're irrigating every day. What goes in, must come out! lol

If you decide to try it, let me know how it works out. I could change my mind yet!

Last edited:
yep irrigation - i was told never ever stick anything in the stoma.. and irrigation is not for ileostomies. if you need any clarification on this Sharon, talk to your stoma nurse.

there shouldn't be any need for irrigation - is there a specific reason you're asking?

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
not specfic reason, it would just be nice to go swimming bag free. i love swimming but i am very aware of the bag and the fact that people can see the bag and the small bulge that is there.