• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery experiences

Hello all,

Well, the time has finally come for me to face the knife. I had a bad abscess about 2.5 years ago that left me with a ton of scar tissue. It has taken THAT long for that area to feel normal again. Then again, I’m not even sure what normal feels like anymore. The cycle is strange. The muscles surrounding the area on the side of where the infection was will get tight / achy, then a small spot of blood will appear on the scar. After the area heals, it feels like there is less scar tissue, and the surrounding area ends up feeling a lot better overall. I’ve had two different CRSs inspect the area with an anoscope, and everything looked good. I’m skeptical. At this point, I think it’s safe to say I have a fistula. Got a third opinion from a reputable CRS, and he is all but certain that I have one. I’m pretty anxious about the surgery. Any positive surgical experiences will definitely help set my mind at ease. I think what scares me the most is that some folks have to have a temporary Illeostomy in order to get these things fully repaired. Nature can have a sick sense of humor sometimes, that’s for sure! I’m not sure if I have IBD, so I’m going to request a colonoscopy, as well.

oh, that's sad... I've had a surgery recovery and I had no problems gladly after this.. Well, it depends on the surgery you had and what type and the level of difficulty, and even on you. People can get over the same surgery in different ways. For instance, my friend had a plastic surgery on her nose and it went well, but another girl had black eyes for a whole month! Anyway, it also depends on the doctor.. My mom recently did a procedure called microneedling and where she found it? On internet. She came across this site seattleplasticsurgery.com and went for it. Though I was afraid it won't work well, the doctor was a professional and nothing bad happened, gladly.

Last edited:
I had a temporary Illeostomy-it was manageable- bowel rest was needed and it reversed without too much difficulty. Good Luck.