• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery to fix stoma

My boyfriend has been going through a flare up since March last year. He has been in hospital twice, hospital appointments, 3 doses of the worst antibiotics ever and MRI scans, CT scans etc.

During his last stay in hospital in December 17 he was told he would need surgery as his stoma does not work correctly. The stool comes out of different parts including the side meaning there's no way to stop it going directly onto the skin. It was also discovered he has fistulas near the stoma site.

His consultant told him he needs to put on at least a stone before a surgeon would do anything so we are working on that at the moment and he is on 26 scoops of Modulen (3 shakes) per day.

To get to the point of my question...has anyone else had to have surgery to 'refashion' their stoma? If so was it much less invasive as getting your stoma originally, how was the recovery/how long? He had a phone call from a consultant last week who has also mentioned getting him in hospital for TPN (total parenteral nutrition), did anyone else get this before surgery?

Thanks in advance.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Aysee
Sorry to hear of the problems your boyfriend is experiencing
I don’t have a stoma but perhaps there will be someone with a stoma to answer you.
The consultant who would like to admit him has the right idea with total parenteral nutrition which would allow the intestinal tract to have a rest prior to surgery.
It would also build up his strength for the surgery.
Hope everything goes well .
Feel better soon
Trysha

cmack

Staff member
Welcome AyCee,

I don't have a stoma either, however many members do. I wish the best for you two, and I hope you find the answers you are searching for soon.

Warm regards,

Chris

Hi I have a stoma and had to go on TPN before I had my surgery done I was so underweight and they wouldn't operate until I got to 8 stone.
It was Brilliant stuff once you've got the line in it gives you all your vitamins as well as feeds you you can eat normal food too but I struggled.they put you on it over 24hrs to start then slowly bring it down a few hours at a time to about 12 hrs which they ran through the night so you didn't have to be hooked up all day long. Your boyfriend will soon put the weight on and they may keep him on it after the surgery for while.
If you want anymore info feel free to ask

Hi I have a stoma and had to go on TPN before I had my surgery done I was so underweight and they wouldn't operate until I got to 8 stone.
It was Brilliant stuff once you've got the line in it gives you all your vitamins as well as feeds you you can eat normal food too but I struggled.they put you on it over 24hrs to start then slowly bring it down a few hours at a time to about 12 hrs which they ran through the night so you didn't have to be hooked up all day long. Your boyfriend will soon put the weight on and they may keep him on it after the surgery for while.
If you want anymore info feel free to ask
Hi there

Thanks so much for your reply. We are relieved to hear that you can still eat normal food when getting a TPN although we are wondering if he may not be able to so his bowel can rest before surgery. The doctors have been a bit of a nightmare and this really should have been sorted months ago hopefully once he gets his “new stoma” done he will be feeling much better :)

Hello Aysee
Sorry to hear of the problems your boyfriend is experiencing
I don’t have a stoma but perhaps there will be someone with a stoma to answer you.
The consultant who would like to admit him has the right idea with total parenteral nutrition which would allow the intestinal tract to have a rest prior to surgery.
It would also build up his strength for the surgery.
Hope everything goes well .
Feel better soon
Trysha
Thank you for your reply :)