• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Switching from Entocort to prednisone

Currently on 6 mg of Entocort and haven’t had much relief. Would like to switch to prednisone, do I need to taper off Entocort before switching?

Kyle.h

Kyle
I didn't when I switched. My GI advised to stop them and start Pred the next day. Was a bit spaced out for a couple of days. Pred worked from then on. Good luck!

Scipio

Currently on 6 mg of Entocort and haven’t had much relief. Would like to switch to prednisone, do I need to taper off Entocort before switching?
Probably not. The taper is needed when you are decreasing the amount or power of corticosteroid you are taking. Going from Entocort to prednisone would be a sharp increase.

Interesting that your Doctor is putting you on Prednisone. Have they tried any of the immunomodulators or biologics? I was only on Prednisone once, during a hospital stay for a small bowel obstruction. The Doctors wanted me to taper off pretty soon afterwards and start Humira. As it turned out, I suffered a severe side effect to the Humira so they discontinued that and put me on MTX.
Regarding your question: My understanding is that Entocort is a topical steroid. It has a coating that doesn't dissolve until it is in the ileum of the small bowel (the most common site for crohn's). Once there, it's action is focused directly on the ileum and has little systemic action and hence fewer side effects. Prednisone by contrast, is systemic, effecting the whole body including the small bowel. So, I would not think there is any need to taper off Entocort before taking Prednisone