• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swollen Foot, But No Answers!

I have struggled with my ankles swelling - related to Crohn's Disease - for almost 40 years now. It used to be that when my ankles started swelling, I was in for a terrible time with my gut very soon. The first time this really presented was when I was 6, and has continued to happen into my late 30's.

This past month only my right foot has swollen and all my doctors are up in arms. I showed up at my GI like this, and he tweaked. He sent me for an x-ray to see if I might have an unexplained break due to all the Prednisone use through the years - nope. He also sent me for an ultrasound to make sure I didn't have a blood clot - common in Crohn's patients, especially those with prolonged Prednisone use. Nope!

My GP looked at my blood work, looked me all over, looked at the results of the aforementioned tests and asked about my blood pressure issue and if I'd been having fluttering, shortness of breath, etc. That was actually the other reason I was in to see her. She said that she's seen patients present with swelling on one side, such as I have been dealing with, who's dealing with Atrial fibrillation. She ran an EKG (clean - as always) and sent me to my cardiologist. She also told me to go back to wearing the compression stocking. I loath the compression stocking, especially as it gets warmer and I'm wearing shorts.

My cardiologist looked me over, checked over my record and said it wasn't my heart causing my foot swelling. It's the prolonged Prednisone use, and the Crohn's Disease causing it, and there's nothing to be done for it. He has decided to set me up with a doc who only deals with the electrical workings of the heart, but I won't get in to see him until the end of the summer.

I called my GP back and she's setting up an appointment with my podiatrist. At this point it can't hurt, and before I got too terribly sick to worry about anything but my gut, he had wanted to do some work on my feet. So I'm going to see him, but in the meantime I'm swelling like a puffer fish and my foot hurts like crazy!

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to explain all the doctors I have been through on this, and all the things they have seemed to rule out so far. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

nogutsnoglory

Is there anything that helps the swelling and pain in the interim? I haven't experienced this but does a foot bath help, acupressure or massage?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Have they ever suggested gout to you? Just a thought on my part.

Sure it is not a classic presentation nor location but I have seen gout present that way...unilateral ankle/foot swelling without the heat and super sensitivity to even the lightest touch.

It was diagnosed via ultrasound which showed fluid around the joint. The fluid was aspirated and sent for analysis and sure enough it contained uric acid crystals.

With your extensive small bowel resections I wonder if your uric acid levels are elevated and therefore gout is rearing its ugly head??

Dusty. xxx

I can identify with that suggestion of gout. I had my left foot/ankle swell up around 3 years ago. Also had the fluid aspirated although no uric acid crystals found. As per DustyKat it was not the classic presentation and doctors were a bit mystified, but they put it down to gout and treated it with a short course of tablets. It did respond, improve and clear up a few days later. And yes it was very painful and sensitive and for a while I couldn't put my foot down on the floor to stand up.

Last edited:
I will be seeing one of my docs sometime in the next week or so and will ask about gout. It's an interesting thought.

What can they do about gout?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Generally they prescribe a medication called Colchicine. It works by helping stop the migration of a particular white blood cell to the affected joint. If gout is the cause the tablets usually work within 24 hours. By tablets I mean...you normally take a tablet every 2 hours until you develop diarrhoea. Not ideal for an IBD sufferer. :(

If it remains problematic you can be prescribed prophylactic medication. The usual medication is Allopurinol. The only contraindication I am aware of with IBD therapy is if you were taking Imuran/6MP and I see you aren't. If Allopurinol is taken with Imuran/6mp it affects the way the body metabolises them and so the dose of immunosuppressant would need to be reduced to about a quarter of the original dose.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Dusty. xxx

Actually, I'm scheduled for surgery my HS at the end of July, and will be going on Imuran after I heal up enough from it.

The thing is that everyone keeps saying joint, this isn't the joint. This is my actual foot that is swollen, but it's not a join that's swollen.

I'm scheduled to see my GI tomorrow, and plan on talking to him about this some more then. The whole thing is so screwy!

Actually, I'm scheduled for surgery my HS at the end of July, and will be going on Imuran after I heal up enough from it.

The thing is that everyone keeps saying joint, this isn't the joint. This is my actual foot that is swollen, but it's not a join that's swollen.

I'm scheduled to see my GI tomorrow, and plan on talking to him about this some more then. The whole thing is so screwy!
Joints can cause your whole foot to swell is what they are saying. It happened to my Father too. His whole right arm swelled up from joint in his wrist, including his hand. He has arthrtis very badly. They put him on Methotrexate.

I have struggled with my ankles swelling - related to Crohn's Disease - for almost 40 years now. It used to be that when my ankles started swelling, I was in for a terrible time with my gut very soon. The first time this really presented was when I was 6, and has continued to happen into my late 30's.

This past month only my right foot has swollen and all my doctors are up in arms. I showed up at my GI like this, and he tweaked. He sent me for an x-ray to see if I might have an unexplained break due to all the Prednisone use through the years - nope. He also sent me for an ultrasound to make sure I didn't have a blood clot - common in Crohn's patients, especially those with prolonged Prednisone use. Nope!

My GP looked at my blood work, looked me all over, looked at the results of the aforementioned tests and asked about my blood pressure issue and if I'd been having fluttering, shortness of breath, etc. That was actually the other reason I was in to see her. She said that she's seen patients present with swelling on one side, such as I have been dealing with, who's dealing with Atrial fibrillation. She ran an EKG (clean - as always) and sent me to my cardiologist. She also told me to go back to wearing the compression stocking. I loath the compression stocking, especially as it gets warmer and I'm wearing shorts.

My cardiologist looked me over, checked over my record and said it wasn't my heart causing my foot swelling. It's the prolonged Prednisone use, and the Crohn's Disease causing it, and there's nothing to be done for it. He has decided to set me up with a doc who only deals with the electrical workings of the heart, but I won't get in to see him until the end of the summer.

I called my GP back and she's setting up an appointment with my podiatrist. At this point it can't hurt, and before I got too terribly sick to worry about anything but my gut, he had wanted to do some work on my feet. So I'm going to see him, but in the meantime I'm swelling like a puffer fish and my foot hurts like crazy!

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to explain all the doctors I have been through on this, and all the things they have seemed to rule out so far. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear you were having these problems and hope you are doing better now. My son is having the same problem with painful swollen ankles. Did the doctors ever figure out how to correct this?