• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Taking medication

Hi I have has LC for over 2 years without a real improvement.

I am wondering if I may not be getting the full benefit of my medication simply because after taking my morning medication, I am likely to be on the loo within an hour, and then again 4 or 5 times in the morning. Is it possible that the medication could be passed though me before it has had a chance to work? Maybe alternative times for medication are possible?

Morning medication :

LEVOTHYROXINE SODIUM 100mcg tablets
LEVOTHYROXINE SODIUM 50 mcg tablets
These are for my thyroid condition which I understand is common with LC.

OCTASA MR tabs 800gm 2 tablets (3 times a day)

OMEPRAZOLE 40mg capsules one tablet daily

VSL#3 probiotic 4.4g powder sachets ( twice a day)

Maybe they could be taken later in the day when the bathroom sessions are over :frown:

I am currently in a flare up that has really knocked me sideways

Thank You

Dave

Sorry about the tough time you are currently experiencing. I certainly can relate, as that was how I often used to spend my mornings, in the bathroom. For some reason mornings tended to be the worst with my MC. As for medication, I found few to be all that helpful, for me. This isn't going to be all that helpful for you but there was one medicine that helped decently and I forget its name. It had one of those long medical technical names, and was described by my GI as originally being an older travelers diarrhea medication. I believe it was from the 1950s and not used much today. Timing was important with this medicine, as I needed to take it 4 times a day at certain times for it to work properly, I was told. It was a help.

As an alternative to helping your condition, you might pick up some ideas from David's thread on how he was a able to achieve remission.

"My holistic treatment diary for Lymphocytic Colitis"

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43814

the dietary area can offer support also.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Good luck!

Hi Beach.

Thank you for the reply

I wonder if I may be getting depressed. I have not suffered with this before but the constant problems with LC are so draining of energy, and leaves me feeling pretty helpless.

I am going to start the diary tomorrow, and read the other articles. It really is good to know others will take the time to help.

Thank you

Dave

My heart goes out to you as it really is a tough unrelenting condition to have. Hopfully you can find some relief one way or another with the condition quickly. Hang in there. Good luck with the diary. If you have not already you might look at taking some vitamin D3, the sunshine vitamin, reaching a testing level around 50ng/ml, fish oil and some magnesium. Doing that helped brighten my mood, and gave a little energy lift.

Hi Beach.

Thank you for the reply

I wonder if I may be getting depressed. I have not suffered with this before but the constant problems with LC are so draining of energy, and leaves me feeling pretty helpless.

I am going to start the diary tomorrow, and read the other articles. It really is good to know others will take the time to help.

Thank you

Dave
Hi. Have you checked your thyroid lately? Depression and feeling tired all the time is a sign that maybe your dose needs to be adjust. For some reason when I am are stressed,(always) my pill does not work the same. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi,

Just back from the GP and all thyroid levels ok. Not good, but ok.
I have another set of blood tests in 2 weeks and then a meeting with him.
Although when tested for celiac disease it was negative, I think I read some time ago that you can still suffer the same symptoms regardless. So I have started a gluton free diet today and as I am also lactose intolerant there is a lot to avoid. I have started the food diary, and hopefully I may be able to see any foods that may be causing this flare up.

Thank you all

Dave

Glad that the thyroid test came back satisfactory. I know physicians can be a contentious bunch when it comes to what some consider a healthy thyroid. Something that might be helpful is adding iodine to your diet. A few years ago, I began taking a couple kelp tablets, rich in iodine, a day to help improve my thyroids performance. It helped. I recall seeing articles about iodine being deficient in the UK and its impact on thyroid health.

"Worrying levels of iodine deficiency in the UK"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13034582

&

"UK study highlights iodine deficiency problem"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/04/14/uk-study-highlights-iodine-deficiency-problem/

Best on the diet. I tested negative for celiac also, but found good relief when avoiding wheat and other grains (white rice didn't seem to be a problem, but I avoid it at this point also.) I've seen some mention going through withdrawals when avoiding wheat. If you feel run down more so than normal on the new diet, the feeling should pass in a few days.

So day 4 of the gluton free diet.
I did not realise that the majority of the food that i had would need to be excluded. Also gluton free food can be very expensive, some items as much as 10 times the price of a compatible food.
To be honest on day 2, I did feel slightly better, maybe a coincidence, but I certainly did feel a change,
Day 3 in the morning I felt even better, and the food diary was up to date :thumright:
However by the evening I had real bloating problems and looking back at the food diary the was no obvious culprit. To add to this I could not sleep. it was nearly 5.00am before I could doze off.
This morning I have a bad headache this has not shifted. It could of course be due to lack of sleep.
However, I assume the withdraw of gluton could be part of these problems ?
I am back seeing my GP on Friday, although this can be quite a stressful :confused:

When I have any medication changes I go over my meds with
my pharmacist to see when the best time to take them is.
At this point my medication schedule feels more like a feeding
schedule for a baby!

Lauren

Good luck with the food journal. I've tried those in the past, and never was able to figure out trigger foods very well myself. What might be more helpful to you is trying some of the diets such as the SCD/ paleo for IBD conditions. If you decide to try that route there are support groups for those following the diets at:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288