• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Termial Ileum Resection

This is my first post, so let me start off by telling my story. I've dealt with stomach issues for about 7 years. I was told I needed to eat GF, then I had gallstones so I needed my gallbladder removed. Cut to 2 days after the July 4th weekend. I'm at work and I can fell beads of sweat dripping down my face and I started to have flu like symptoms and then pain on my right side of my stomach. I told my boss I think I needed to go to the ER because I was having really bad stomach pains. I go to the ER and they tell me I'm having a Crohn's flair up. I said, "Oh, I didn't know I had Crohn's. I spent 3 nights in the hospital that time. The second time in the hospital was just a month ago. I had stomach pains that woke me up at night. I took my son to the Dentist and I had to run to the bathroom to get sick. I took him to school and then went to work. 10 mins into my day, I had to leave to go to the ER. So since my 1 year diagnosis of Crohn's I constantly have "fullness" in the right side of my stomach. You can actually see the different in the right compared to the left. I am on Humira which seems to be doing well, along with steroids (not Prednisone, thank goodness, that stuff was horrible). I have another CT on Monday and after that my DR will decide if a terminal ileum resection is needed. I already know the answer is yes, because I can feel that my body isn't right.

My questions are: What should I except from the surgery? Is it painful? How long will I be in the hospital? Will I need a colostomy bag? Is the scar bad? Has is helped anyone else? How do I lose weight after being on the Prednisone?

I can use all the help I can get. Thank you in advance!

Hi. I had mine removed a few years ago along with a small section of my colon removed. It was only painful the first time they had me get up and walk. After that , it was fine. I personally didn't need a colostomy bag. Walk as much as you can. Everyone is different. I was admitted to the hospital the end of March and released April 22nd. Let us know how everything goes.

Hi Shawna. Sorry you are going through this.
I had a small bowel (terminal ilieum) resection about 15 yrs ago. I was in the hospital for 5 days. It is of course painful, but only bad for the first few days, then much more tolerable. I couldn't be real active for about 6-8 weeks, like no lifting heavy things, no golfing or jogging. But I did most household stuff, just at a very slow and deliberate pace.
The resection was very helpful, I waited too long and was miserable for a long time, I kept hoping it would get better, it didn't. I wish I had done it sooner.
My scar is pretty obvious and about 6 in long, which I think is longer than average. But at this point in my life it doesn't bother me at all. As far as a colostomy bag, I would guess not, but they will always warn you about it going into surgery just in case.
I still take a lot of meds to keep things under control.
I would strongly suggest looking its SCD and/or paleo diets. They have helped me immensely.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Hi Shawna. Sorry you are going through this.
I had a small bowel (terminal ilieum) resection about 15 yrs ago. I was in the hospital for 5 days. It is of course painful, but only bad for the first few days, then much more tolerable. I couldn't be real active for about 6-8 weeks, like no lifting heavy things, no golfing or jogging. But I did most household stuff, just at a very slow and deliberate pace.
The resection was very helpful, I waited too long and was miserable for a long time, I kept hoping it would get better, it didn't. I wish I had done it sooner.
My scar is pretty obvious and about 6 in long, which I think is longer than average. But at this point in my life it doesn't bother me at all. As far as a colostomy bag, I would guess not, but they will always warn you about it going into surgery just in case.
I still take a lot of meds to keep things under control.
I would strongly suggest looking its SCD and/or paleo diets. They have helped me immensely.
Good luck, keep us posted.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I had 30cm of my terminal ileum removed almost 8 years ago. I was in the hospital for about a week, but would have been out 2-3 days sooner (unrelated issue to the surgery made the stay longer) otherwise. After the surgery, which was laparoscopic, I was sore, but the pain wasn't too severe because I was given lots of pain meds, although I did try to avoid laughing or coughing. I didn't need a bag, and I have just three tiny scars: one around my belly button, and two forming a little triangle around it. It definitely helped and put me into remission for a long while!
Good luck, let us know what the doctor says.

The pain post surgery was nothing like as bad as the pain I was having beforehand so don't worry too much about that.

I have a one inch scar down from my belly button and had three other tiny incisions that I can't find anymore. That was done laparascopically; if they have to do open surgery for some reason then you'll have a bigger scar. My understanding is that in TI cases needing a bag is rare.

Best thing I've ever done.