• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Terminal Ilium Strictures Surgery

My son's GI has mentioned surgery to remove diseased sections of my son's terminal ilium.

I know almost nothing about what the terminal ilium is, what it does, and what the risks may be when it is operated on.

I am looking for feedback from anyone who can give me background.

Thanks.

The terminal ileum is where the small bowel and large bowel meet - it is located around the appendix area.

It is the most common area for flaring activity.

I had this area re-sected 3 years ago and I have had the most perfect 3 years.

However i am now flaring again as there is a good chance that the Crohn's will return to the area that has been re-sected.

I would have the surgery again as i had the best 3 years.

Good luck.

FruitLoop said:
The terminal ileum is where the small bowel and large bowel meet - it is located around the appendix area.

It is the most common area for flaring activity.

I had this area re-sected 3 years ago and I have had the most perfect 3 years.

However i am now flaring again as there is a good chance that the Crohn's will return to the area that has been re-sected.

I would have the surgery again as i had the best 3 years.

Good luck.
I'm glad you had successful surgery with it. I guess the terminal ilium is where crohn's often causes inflammation?