• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Travel anxiety?

I haven't been around the forums much, which is mostly a good thing, I guess. I'm busy with college, enjoying life in remission, and mostly not thinking about Crohn's. To give a bit of backstory, I've always been a terribly stressed/nervous person. And the stress tends to lead to stomach issues. Now that I'm in remission, that seems to have settled a bit, but I still find myself struggling with feelings of anxiety, especially when travelling.

Whenever I'm somewhere with no easy bathroom access, be it a classroom I can't leave during an exam, or on a plane or train with an occupied bathroom (and long distance car travel is a complete no for me, now), I feel horrible. I start sweating, everything feels tight, and my stomach bothers me even if it was fine before. I know, logically, that I probably won't need the bathroom in the time it takes for it to become available, and I know that I'm physically in remission, but nothing I tell myself seems to matter. It's gotten to the point where I'm nervous about going out to stores (what if they don't have a publicly available restroom?) or getting stuck in traffic. Just the other day I was sweaty and shaky and miserable on a subway platform because the train was taking a while, and I was scared of being stuck on the train and suddenly having to go, but I was also nervous about running back through the station to the bathroom and missing the train completely.

I thought this was something that would go away once I'd spent a while in remission, but if anything, it just seems to build. Taking Imodium before I travel helps sometimes, if only because I get the mental reassurance that I won't be hit with "the urge," but I'd rather deal with this issue at the source. And I think the source is that I've got an anxiety issue.

So... what do I do? I'm looking at counseling services on campus, because at the very least they might be able to refer me to someone outside who can help, but I still feel like I'm at a loss. Any advice would be really appreciated, especially if anyone else feels like this!

Counseling might help. I was on Prilosec for anxiety for a bit which helped.

I understand how you feel. I thought once in remission I would go back to "normal" but I actually feel like a ticking time bomb. Yes, I enjoy the foods that I can while in remission but I am just waiting for the next flare. Every little bout of diarrhea or stomach pain I over analyze thinking it's the start of a flare. I am very fortunate to be in remission, but find myself waiting for the next inevitable flare to start.

I know exactly what you are going through and it just takes so much out of you. The mental planning, the anxiety, and just the overall mental preparation you do over and over. I have found that adult diapers have really given me some anxiety relief. Its no big deal if you have an accident as you just pack extra diapers and baby wipes. If you can't make it to the bathroom it is wayyyy less of a problem than if you were wearing regular underwear. I also was going to therapy but I had to stop because of my health. I would probably recommend the two hand in hand so you can fight the cause at the source and also have more peace of mind when you are going out. Ease yourself into it. I hope this helps and really I hope that we can conquer this!!

Just a quick story: I have been going to New York for treatment and the mental preparation I did in the beginning was insane.We were taking Amtrak and arriving in Penn station which is a nightmare for people with Crohn's as the bathroom can have a line. After a few times it gets better because you know layouts and such but the diapers really have prevented me from having accidents. Knowing that you won't be embarrassed is such a blessing and that you can easily clean up when a restroom becomes available.

I know exactly how you feel! I'm in remission but still have the anxiety.

Do you not have an arrangement with your college for exams? I don't know how it works where you are, but I go to college in the UK and I have it agreed that I can have rest breaks during my exams should I need them. I had to provide a couple of hospital letters with my diagnosis on them and fill in a form, but they had no issue with agreeing to my request. Might be something to think about if you don't already have something in place.

fuzzy butterfly

Counseling might help. I was on Prilosec for anxiety for a bit which helped.

I understand how you feel. I thought once in remission I would go back to "normal" but I actually feel like a ticking time bomb. Yes, I enjoy the foods that I can while in remission but I am just waiting for the next flare. Every little bout of diarrhea or stomach pain I over analyze thinking it's the start of a flare. I am very fortunate to be in remission, but find myself waiting for the next inevitable flare to start.
Ditto .. i know just what you mean.:hug:

fuzzy butterfly

I haven't been around the forums much, which is mostly a good thing, I guess. I'm busy with college, enjoying life in remission, and mostly not thinking about Crohn's. To give a bit of backstory, I've always been a terribly stressed/nervous person. And the stress tends to lead to stomach issues. Now that I'm in remission, that seems to have settled a bit, but I still find myself struggling with feelings of anxiety, especially when travelling.

Whenever I'm somewhere with no easy bathroom access, be it a classroom I can't leave during an exam, or on a plane or train with an occupied bathroom (and long distance car travel is a complete no for me, now), I feel horrible. I start sweating, everything feels tight, and my stomach bothers me even if it was fine before. I know, logically, that I probably won't need the bathroom in the time it takes for it to become available, and I know that I'm physically in remission, but nothing I tell myself seems to matter. It's gotten to the point where I'm nervous about going out to stores (what if they don't have a publicly available restroom?) or getting stuck in traffic. Just the other day I was sweaty and shaky and miserable on a subway platform because the train was taking a while, and I was scared of being stuck on the train and suddenly having to go, but I was also nervous about running back through the station to the bathroom and missing the train completely.

I thought this was something that would go away once I'd spent a while in remission, but if anything, it just seems to build. Taking Imodium before I travel helps sometimes, if only because I get the mental reassurance that I won't be hit with "the urge," but I'd rather deal with this issue at the source. And I think the source is that I've got an anxiety issue.

So... what do I do? I'm looking at counseling services on campus, because at the very least they might be able to refer me to someone outside who can help, but I still feel like I'm at a loss. Any advice would be really appreciated, especially if anyone else feels like this!
Hi sorry your struggling . Yes counseling may help, its sure worth a try.best wishes 💕

Whenever I'm somewhere with no easy bathroom access, I feel horrible. I start sweating, everything feels tight, and my stomach bothers me even if it was fine before.
I use to suffer from this toilet access issue a lot.

But have found it is a case of mind over matter.

Takes some time to "train your brain" and re-wire ways of thinking. But it can be done.

Something like Buteyko Breathing and Emotional Freedom Technique, will probably be very beneficial to you.

The more your mind dwells on it......the worst it gets. So now whenever I get that state of panic building, I talk myself down, talk myself out of it, and think about other things.

If not doing so already, you could also wear a incontinence pad for these sort of situations. At least then if you have an incident, the pad will soak everything up until you CAN get to a bathroom.

I got stuck on the train the other day. Tree had fallen across line and we were not moving anywhere. No toilet on the train either. Lucky I had an incontinence pad on, and I managed to keep myself distracted and calm with a guided meditation on my ipod.

I also take a spare pad, spare underwear and wet wipes in my handbag everywhere I go. Just-in-case!

:)

Bufford

Its been a few decades since I had to write an exam, but I remember asking to use the bathroom while writing one. They let me go with no problem. I too would recommend wearing a disposable diaper when a bathroom may not be close by or occupied. They are a real life/mess saver.