• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Treatment for irritated skin under the wafer

DJW

Forum Monitor
Over the years I have regularly dealt with itchy irritated skin under the wafer. It’s important to be in contact with your stoma nurse if you’re having recurring problems. If you are getting ulcerations under the wafer you NEED to contact the stoma nurse to decide on the best treatment approach. Your GI may also need to be involved in the process.

To help with irritated itchy skin I’ve found the following treatment to be very effective:

I get a prescription for flo-vent – the same puffer used by people with asthma. It is a steroid based medication

Clean the skin around the stoma

Puff/mist the skin with the flo-vent puffer

Dust the skin with stoma power

Use skin prep to dab the areas covered with stoma power – it is important that you do NOT wipe; this will just remove all the powder and flo-vent
medication from the skin

Allow the skin to dry

Apply the new wafer

Avoid the use of tape – use a belt to secure the pouch.

I do this regularly when my skin acts up. It has brought me GREAT relief from the constant itch of irritated skin.

Hope you find this helpful.

I've heard of those asthma puffers for use around peristomal skin, but aren't they expensive and does insurance cover it as an ostomy supply or prescription drug? I ask because my own insurance only covers ostomy supplies (medical supplies), but not drugs.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Good question. Mine is covered as a drug. When I did pay I recall it being about $35...but I could be wrong. It often cleared with three or four treatments.

Good question. Mine is covered. When I did pay I recall it being about $35...but I could be wrong. It often cleared with three or four treatments.
$35 is pretty reasonable considering how much of an expense an ostomy skin problem can be.

Is there any way to treat this without having to get a prescription? I just got it a few days ago. I used the powder. When i changed it today it got a little worse.

Is there any way to treat this without having to get a prescription? I just got it a few days ago. I used the powder. When i changed it today it got a little worse.
It depends what kind of irritation it is (what was the cause).

Your skin can be irritated for many reasons, and each has their own solution:

1) irritation from stoma output coming in contact with the skin.
2) irritation from the adhesive pulling on the skin when you remove your appliance.
3) irritation caused by an allergy to something on your skin (wafer, barrier wipes, etc.).
4) irritation caused by fungus
5) irritation caused by moisture
6) irritation caused by hair follicles.

If you have access to a stoma nurse, it's best to have them look at it. There are specific ways to treat irritation, but it often depends on the cause.

The flo-vent product mentioned is available only by prescription and I don't believe there are comparable alternatives available off the shelf.

nogutsnoglory

Coloplast can send you a sample of their anti fungal powder for ostomy. I have heard of people using jock itch powders too but please consult your ostomy nurse.

Coloplast can send you a sample of their anti fungal powder for ostomy. I have heard of people using jock itch powders too but please consult your ostomy nurse.
Yes, I've heard of people using stuff for yeast infections too. Assuming the problem is caused by yeast/fungus. :)

PsychoJane

Given that the need is to reduce inflammation (I assume this is the reason to be using the Flo-Vent), I wonder if crushing pred pills into a fine dust with a spice mortar and pestle would do the trick? Just a money saver idea to try out maybe :).

Given that the need is to reduce inflammation (I assume this is the reason to be using the Flo-Vent), I wonder if crushing pred pills into a fine dust with a spice mortar and pestle would do the trick? Just a money saver idea to try out maybe :).
They are two totally different steroids, but it would have been a good idea :)

When I saw my stoma nurse this week, she suggested calamine lotion as a non prescription solution, not sure if it's called that in the US.

I had a bit of irritation due to my new stoma shrinking so rapidly, it was very sore, but the nurse assured me the skin was still healthy and gave me some mouldable rings that have been a godsend until I get my new bags next week.

My heart goes out to anyone who has this problem all the time :hug:

fuzzy butterfly

Hi I had sore skin from output around my stoma. After a few different attempts to solve it , i found that cleaning with plain warm water then drying, i applied stoma powder dusted of the excess. After applying stoma paste( in a tube like toothpaste) i think it was called stomahesive ? to the flange i then placed my bag on (also coloplast bags) I found that give me less soreness and less leakages. Hope this helps...

I am spreading Ilex over the raw area to see if it helps. I've tried everything above plus liquid antiacid dabbed or calmoseptine put on and removed before using the Stoma powder and the sealing spray stuff. Has Ilex helped anyone else?

I'm seeing a stoma nurse and we have tried many appliaces/wafers etc since my ileostomy 3 months ago. The last few days I've had awful burning pain and the skin is raw on the bottom side of my stoma. After surgery it healed with the crap emptying out of the stoma's side directly onto my skin intead of out the top of my stoma. I have another appointment with her this week but it is burning so bad that I 'm putting ice on it. I also am taking Norco for my abdominal pain and it's not helping with the stinging. I'm lucky if I get one to last 2 nights and have changed it twice today :ymad: Any other suggestions?

I glad I found this site tonight. Thanks for all of the information :sign0144:

Whenever I have skin issues I use small pieces of Aquacel,cortisone cream and then cover it with Duoderm.

I am spreading Ilex over the raw area to see if it helps. I've tried everything above plus liquid antiacid dabbed or calmoseptine put on and removed before using the Stoma powder and the sealing spray stuff. Has Ilex helped anyone else?

I'm seeing a stoma nurse and we have tried many appliaces/wafers etc since my ileostomy 3 months ago. The last few days I've had awful burning pain and the skin is raw on the bottom side of my stoma. After surgery it healed with the crap emptying out of the stoma's side directly onto my skin intead of out the top of my stoma. I have another appointment with her this week but it is burning so bad that I 'm putting ice on it. I also am taking Norco for my abdominal pain and it's not helping with the stinging. I'm lucky if I get one to last 2 nights and have changed it twice today :ymad: Any other suggestions?

I glad I found this site tonight. Thanks for all of the information :sign0144:
Hi Marie
i have a stoma placed like yours. It comes out onto my skin. when o am having skin problems I use friars balsam also called tinct Benz onto skin first _ it does sting when you apply it initially. This then becomes sticky, I add stoma he’s I’ve powder over the top, followed by dubbing withbarrier wipe( don’t want to wipe off powder). I add a thin strip of stomahesive paste around inner edge of base _ making sure it is not right on the edge in the area stoma opening sits(if it covers opening all sorts of explosive leaks happen). I finish with tape frames and then cross my fingers and hope for the best.
I also get psoriasis around stoma so have a tube of advantan lotion( must be lotion or it will affect the adhesive, also it is a steriodal lotion on ascrpt) use sparingly in psoriasis is playing up.