• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trouble with SCD/grain free

Couldn't find if this has been asked...
I have tried to do the scd diet twice now. The first time I made it 3 days into the intro diet before I had this weird dizzy/faint/racing heart episode, felt like I was going to collapse. I had just eaten a beef patty and broth so I knew it wasnt hunger related. I was on entocort at the time and thought it was just too much changes at once.

Now I am off entocort and I decided to try again, mainly I want to try going grain free so I skipped the intro to make sure I was eating a good variety. I was fine all day until the afternoon when I had a snack of (peeled) apple and peanut butter, immediately after I had a similar dizzy spell. I ate a single piece of bread and felt better right away after that. Is this diet just not for me or is this normal for "die off"? Is this a sign of a blood sugar issue? Is there a way to ease into this so I can figure out if grains are the problem?

Do you normally eat apple and peanut butter?
Did you make big changes?
Was your normal diet very different?

Could be carbs and blood sugar.
But as they like to say...."if you didn't do the intro you aren't doing SCD"
It's an elimination diet and then you only eat the foods on the 'legal' list if they are correctly reintroduced.

would recommend reading this, hope it helps...
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost.php?p=988997&postcount=13

Do you normally eat apple and peanut butter?
Did you make big changes?
Was your normal diet very different?

Could be carbs and blood sugar.
But as they like to say...."if you didn't do the intro you aren't doing SCD"
It's an elimination diet and then you only eat the foods on the 'legal' list if they are correctly reintroduced.

would recommend reading this, hope it helps...
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost.php?p=988997&postcount=13
Hello, hugh, How are you! Do you try the GAPS diet or SCD diet? Thanks!

Hello, hugh, How are you! Do you try the GAPS diet or SCD diet? Thanks!
Hi, I did try SCD for a while and it helped me quite a bit but was not a perfect fit.
I made the same mistake that many people make, skipping the intro and thinking I could eat anything on the 'legal' food list.
Also I could not handle yougurt very well and that is a big part of SCD.
After a few months of SCD(which gave me significant improvement) I changed to paleo (old school low carb), then reintroduced more carbs in the form of rice and tubers.
Now I eat carbs some days and almost no carbs other days. I think I do better dipping in and out of ketosis, fairly high fibre and lots of fermented foods.
Personally, I think Paul Jaminet's 'perfect health diet' is a good starting point but the SCD and GAPS intro diets are very useful for working out if you should be eating particular foods.....

Hi, I did try SCD for a while and it helped me quite a bit but was not a perfect fit.
I made the same mistake that many people make, skipping the intro and thinking I could eat anything on the 'legal' food list.
Also I could not handle yougurt very well and that is a big part of SCD.
After a few months of SCD(which gave me significant improvement) I changed to paleo (old school low carb), then reintroduced more carbs in the form of rice and tubers.
Now I eat carbs some days and almost no carbs other days. I think I do better dipping in and out of ketosis, fairly high fibre and lots of fermented foods.
Personally, I think Paul Jaminet's 'perfect health diet' is a good starting point but the SCD and GAPS intro diets are very useful for working out if you should be eating particular foods.....
Maybe you would try the goat yogurt. The book of BTVC says the more benefits for CD using yogurt made from goat than cow.
Do you take the medicines or other supplements for maintain the remission?

It may be a lack of Carbohydrates in the diet

WIKIPEDIA said:
Carbohydrates are a common source of energy in living organisms; however, no carbohydrate is an essential nutrient in humans.[22] Humans are able to obtain all of their energy requirement from protein and fats, though the potential for some negative health effects of extreme carbohydrate restriction remains, as the issue has not been studied extensively yet.[22] However, in the case of dietary fiber – indigestible carbohydrates which are not a source of energy – inadequate intake can lead to significant increases in mortality.[23]
Following a diet consisting of very low amounts of daily carbohydrate for several days will usually result in higher levels of blood ketone bodies than an isocaloric diet with similar protein content.[24] This relatively high level of ketone bodies is commonly known as ketosis and is very often confused with the potentially fatal condition often seen in type 1 diabetics known as diabetic ketoacidosis. Somebody suffering ketoacidosis will have much higher levels of blood ketone bodies along with high blood sugar, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.