• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trying To Conceive (TTC) Support Group

Hello to everyone on this thread, and I'm sorry to read that some have had problems TTC.
Me and my partner have decided we are ready to start our own family but know because of my crohns it could take a while. I am currently on methotrexate and only just gone into what i think is remission (or as close as I'm going to get) last month. I am very worried about it flaring back up again if I get pregnant. I am very lucky that my partner is very understanding and has been doing so much research it has shocked me, I really think he wants to be a dad. I have been reading through the posts and the links and there is some really good info out there so thank you for posting and good luck to all of you xx

Forgot to put the main worry for me is having to come off methotrexate and what happens. Has anyone else been on methotrexate and sucsesfully come off the drug and conceived? X

If it might be of help to anyone, recall reading this article on Dr. Cannell's sight about vitamin D3 helping with fertility.

I wouldn't be surprised if eating a diet rich in the other fat soluble vitamins, E, A, and K2 were helpful also. Best of luck!

"Vitamin D and fertility in men and women"

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f545cba30e1f9697fddbe8acb&id=20789972d6&e=d37488c337

snippet from the article:

Every year, billions are spent in fertility clinics; the result of which is often in vitro fertilization (IVF). About 5 years ago, I began receiving emails from a nurse practitioner in Indiana who works in a fertility clinic. Her experience was dramatic; 5,000 IU/day for both the man and woman frequently resulted in a healthy baby. However, her last email to me was quite sad, she was in danger of losing her job as her boss, a gynecologist, was losing money due to vitamin D. He ordered her to stop advocating it or lose her job.

Today, the Daily Mail and several other newspapers reviewed a lengthy article in The European Journal of Endocrinology that concluded, “Given the high prevalence of infertility as well as vitamin D insufficiency in otherwise healthy young women and men and the possible role of vitamin D in human reproduction, research might lead to new therapeutic approaches such as vitamin D supplementation in the treatment of female and male reproductive disorders....”

David

Co-Founder
No baby yet so today I went in for a semen analysis. Now THAT is an interesting experience, let me tell you...

I'm kinda on edge. If the test comes back negative I'll be pretty devastated. I don't know that I could go through another attempt at vasectomy reversal.

*fingers crossed*

Fingers crossed for you!

But to be fair, you've only been trying around 4 or 5 months? I read that 50% of couples will conceive in the first 6 months, and 85% in the first year of trying. So at 4 months there must be more couples not conceived than have. Besides, make the most of the trying ;)

David

Co-Founder
Results are back for my semen analysis.

Not only was the operation a success, but I have a freaking metric ton of sperm compared to normal. Heheh. All aspects of the test were good too. Volume, number of sperm, motility, and morphology.

:dance:

Sorry to butt in, high titre anti-cardiolipin antibodies can cause miscarriages, known as Anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome. Worth having these checked. I had these antibodies and they were attributed to a severe crohns flare. Good luck everyone xxx

I have a question of my own and I am new to this so i really dont know how to do it. My husband has Crohn's disease and ulcertive colitis and we are trying to get pregnant. He isnt on any medicine because we are currently trying to get him a medical card and his medicine is very very expensive where we live. But he is taking a probotic and it seems to be helping. until we can get his medical card that is all he will taking. He has had Crohn's since he was 14 and he is 21 now and i was just wondering if any of you have any pointers on trying to get pregnant We have been trying for almost 6 months.

Has anyone taken 6MP during pregnancy and breast feeding? One dr says its okay and another says it's not. I just don't want to harm my baby in any way and am trying to plan ahead.

Crohns diagnosed since 2010
6mp
Vitamins and probiotics
Terminal ileum is too narrow

Good luck to everyone!

I've been ttc since August and I'm already get frustrated so I can't imagine trying for years. My heart goes out to you and I just wanted to remind everyone not to give up.

Those of you who have conceived, congratulations and good luck with your bundles of joy.: )

David

Co-Founder
We've been trying for about a year now with no luck :( My stuff is ok but my wife had low progesterone levels which we're now supplementing (and have been for 3 months). Still nothing :(

Angrybird

Has anyone taken 6MP during pregnancy and breast feeding? One dr says its okay and another says it's not. I just don't want to harm my baby in any way and am trying to plan ahead.

Crohns diagnosed since 2010
6mp
Vitamins and probiotics
Terminal ileum is too narrow
I am on 6-mp and my doc has been happy for me to be on it whilst pregnant but has said a big no no for breastfeeding as sometimes tiny trace amounts of the med can be found in the milk. I did ask about coming off this so I could breastfeed and he said this would be too risky as I would likely flare with all the upheaval of the birth, hormones and the lack or treatment. He pointed out that I would be no use to the baby if I was really unwell so it was best to go onto formula, I was a bit upset at first but can understand the logic of it so I am feeling better about this now.

AB
xx

Hi everyone, just thought I would pop in and say hi. I have had Crohns since 2007 and my husband and I have recently decided we would try for a baby so I have been combing through the forum reading everything I set my eyes on! I am currently in remission and have been for a few years thanks to infliximab every 8 weeks. After reading what I reckon is everything on the internet about pregnancy and infliximab I am confident about continuing my treatment while pregnant. I have also been taking Blackmores Conceive Well Gold since the start of December to make sure I have lots of nutrients in me!
I wish everyone success in their TTC journey xx

Hi all,

I thought I would share my experience with having a baby in hopes it might help anyone out there.

I had a total of 4 miscarriages before I had my son. I ended up going to a fertility center to try to determine what was wrong. Apparently I have a mutation to an enzyme which they called MTHFR. It can cause blood clot issues although I have never had any problems with clotting that I am aware of. Additionally this mutation prevents my body from uptaking B vitamins as I should (Folic Acid being a B Vitamin). Folic Acid is needed for healthy cell growth (or cell splitting) for homeostasis, but Folic Acid is especially needed for healthy cell growth in a fetus. *ding ding*

I was thankfully in remission. I ended up taking baby aspirin daily and tons of folic acid, B12, and B6 before trying to conceive again. B Vitamins are water soluble, so I was taking quite a bit. Needless to say, I now have my baby boy! Well, he is two now so not so much a baby. I really believe taking the B Vitamins is the reason I have him.

I still take the baby aspirin and B vitamins for my health today.

I am not sure if that will help anyone out there, but I wanted to share just in case it does :)

Hi all, my partner and I looking to start TTC ASAP! Unfortunately had a flare up recently and am going to start Infliximab infusions at the end of this month. Worried about TTC whilst on this treatment, but also been advised that its not good trying whilst or soon after a flare up either. Read mixed views on this, ideally I guess I'd rather not be on any meds at all when we're trying, but also trying to get myself healthy.. I'm 38 and my partner is 45 so want to try sooner rather than later. Been taking folic acid and vitamin D but not on anything else at mo.

Hello i'm Amelia, and i'm currently ttc. I suffered a miscarriage at 5 weeks about 7 weeks ago and now in my two week wait so fingers crossed everything goes okay :)

Ps Hi to everyone :D and lots of good luck to all ttc xx

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I want to start off by saying good luck to all who are TTC and thank you Angrybird for letting me know about this chat room. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for almost 3 years now with no luck. I have Crohn's disease for 18 years now and an Ileostomy for 10 years. I have been taking folic acid and vitamin B-12 for a while now I also drink nutrition drinks as well. I went to a high risk pregnancy dr for a consult on the advice of my GYN and he said he doesn't see anything that could keep me from conceiving and I have done a FSH test which came back normal and my husband is going to get a semen analysis done and we will probably do some other tests depending on what the dr tells us and the next step would be to try Clomid or other meds that increase your chance of conceiving and see if that helps any. I have been in remission and haven't been hospitalized for the last 3 years. I am hoping to figure out why I haven't conceived and hopefully be expecting soon before I have a flare up and have to stop TTC for a while because I am 31 years old now so the risks become greater as you get older. I am currently only on Pentasa and Nexium through my GI. I have had issues in the past with weight loss and dehydration and getting the proper nutrition so I have done nasogastric tube feedings overnight and had PICC lines and did TPN at home overnight as well so that's another factor I have to worry about I also have issues with low hemoglobin which I've had to get blood transfusions for but thankfully I have not had to do any of those things in the past 3 years while we have been TTC. I just wanted to share my TTC story with you all and see if anyone else has had similar issues or if anyone has some advice as to what to do or try. Thank you for reading my story and good luck to all who are TTC and congratulations to those who have succeeded in having a little bundle of joy, I hopefully will soon too and I will update as I know more with tests or with the exciting news that I have succeeded in my long TTC journey. Take care and stay well everyone!

Hi everyone;
I'm currently diagnosed as experiencing "secondary infertility". I'm 40 years old, and I have two children. Toward the end of my second pregnancy, my health really started to suffer and a Crohn's flare started that didn't end until 2 years later (after a small bowel resection). We've now been trying again for 10 months and having no success. Because I'm over 40, we were ushered into the fertility doctor's office for testing after 6 months of trying. Everything looks good with me, all the tests checked out (including a saline ultrasound where they checked that my tubes are open and ovaries/eggs look good). DH's sperm count and motility is weak though ... and this is new to us. Six years ago when we were trying for our first and not having any luck, his analysis came back perfect. So even though I'm the one with Crohn's, all of the results are pointing to male factor. Very frustrating. And it's hard when people say "you should be grateful for what you have" because I already have two children. But this is hard too ... I always wanted a big family and the Crohn's has put me on hold numerous times. My first two children didn't come easily either ... we went through infertility years ago, and we lost one pregnancy. I really feel in my heart that we have room in our family for another ... but with my advanced age and all the knocks against us, it may never happen. I feel like my time is running out, and the disease may be back already. I'm almost a year post-op ... and instead of getting better (and more "normal"), I'm suffering with D again pretty regularly. I'm not in any pain or any losing weight or anything like that ... just lots of D. Sucks. Just wanted to vent and complain a little. I know there's nothing anyone can do. I feel sad that people feel that I am ungrateful because I already have children. My children are wonderful and they bring me so much joy ... why should I be deprived of having more if that's what I want? I do count my blessings, every day. And I absolutely feel pure compassion and heartache for those who are TTC and do not have any children.
Hugs to everyone on this board.
Angie

p.s. Oh David ... I know your post is from several weeks ago, but I wanted to tell you that I do use charts and take my temperature to monitor my cycles. It is VERY informative. It doesn't necessarily help to tell you WHEN you need to try ... but it gives you an excellent aid to determine IF you're ovulating, and after a handful of cycles, you can see patterns as to when you are, and you can equate certain symptoms to the various milestones in your cycle. I did it back in my early TTC years, and I've continued to track my periods and intercourse over the years, and I am charting my temp again now. I love having all that data to look back on, it's amazing. I use the site called Fertility Friend. It's free and super easy to use.

I am new to the forum and thought I would post my TTC experience.

Our situation is interesting. He is 44 and I am 32. We have decided to give it 2 more years.

In 2003 I went to the GYN to find out why my ex husband could not conceive. Long story short they found a Pituitary Adenoma. I was allergic to the first medication designed to shrink it and went crazy on the second one. I was out of option and out of my mind. I was divorced by 2006. I went off all medication for 7 years. Its amazing how one bad medication can turn you off of medical intervition for years... and I work in healthcare! The adenoma was causing all sorts of hormone issues. I quit having periods during that 7 year time (I was having fun in my 20s and didn't want it anyway!!!). The tumor got larger and had to be removed because I was having vision issues. By this time I was in a very strong new relationship. My hormones all fixed themselves with in months and the endocrinologist gave us the green light to try! I have been with out birth control Since January 2012. We have been TTC off and on over the year and a half. I have had so many Crohn's issues lately that sex is the last thing I want. My period never comes around when I am having a flair anyway. When I do feel good I use a fertile view microscope lens to test my saliva for increased salt. Its nails my ovulation day but no conception.

I did talk to my GYN about this and my GI too. They are going to skip the Imuran I was happy that everyone agreed on this. I have been having such bad issues and a not so good looking CT so I am going to try remicade. I am hoping it puts me in remission!!! Then we can try again. And lets face it trying is so much fun!!

I am nervous and sometimes feel so damn selfish for wanting a baby. Its a weird swell of emotions. We both have always wanted a baby and the timing seems right.

I haven't told ANYONE any of this. I don't know how to broach the subject with most people and I am afraid people will think that I am selfish for wanting/trying/having a baby because I have Crohns.

Hi Sarahnarizona,
First I must say welcome to the forum and I love your picture I got a good laugh about it because it's so true. I don't think you are being selfish in wanting a child at all I felt the same way and am scared that I might pass Crohn's disease on to my child and if I did I don't know what I would do but we all have things we want in our lives and for most people it is having a family. My husband and I have been TTC for almost 4 years and I have been sick on and off and going through being on and off of Prednisone so it hasn't been too easy and I too am trying to get on Remicade or even Humira to go into remission. We are moving this month into our first house and after we are settled in I'm going to see the doctor to get some tests done for both me and my husband to see why we have not conceived. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone in feeling selfish and scared and just so many emotions about this subject I am the same way and we haven't told many people about TTC either we just figure we will tell them if and when we are expecting and hopefully that time comes soon for all of us TTC. I hope everything works out for you and keep us updated on how things go for you,take care!

crohnsinct

Wow! Don't know how I missed this thread but my prayers to all of you. BTDT many years ago!

David: CONGRATULATIONS! Wishing your wife a healthy and enjoyable preganancy!

Hey all, I'm new to the forum as well and thought I'd give my information.

I'm 23, with Crohn's. My husband and I started trying to conceive in November, we haven't had any luck yet. I was on birth control for 9 years.

I haven't been to the doc much regarding it, she knows we're trying, that I have Crohn's, and that I was on birth control but I get so darn frustrated when its not happening :(

- post made via iPhone
- Lindsay Percy

Hi Sarahnarizona,
First I must say welcome to the forum and I love your picture I got a good laugh about it because it's so true.
Hi Melindar413! Thanks I found that and cracked up!

I sorry to hear of your troubles TTC. I am glad we have this forum so that we can all talk about this a bit. The GNY told me that TTC while in a flair is dangerous for everyone. I agree with that. So we are not trying this month. I did get my first remicade treatment yesterday. I have my fingers crossed I will start to feel better and maybe even want to baby dance again! LOL Have you talked to your Dr. about remicade?

Oh congrats on the new house! :dance:

Hi Crohnsblogger! Fist of all do you have a blog? I love reading blogs!

Have you tried any thing to help with conception? Google the Fertilview! Its a neat little device that is non invasive quick and has allowed me to nail down my exact ovulation day. Its worked for lots and lots of women! Good luck :)

Hey! I do have a blog! It's successfulcrohnsliving.blogspot .com

It's about my life, and Crohn's! I haven't tried much, I think it'll stress me out. I'm currently 3 days late on my usual cycle. We shall see. Thanks for the info, I'll have a look and talk to you more about it!

- post made via iPhone
- Lindsay Percy

Hi Sarahnarizona,
Thank you! I am excited about the move to the new house I just want it to be over with and get settled in so we can relax it's been a stressful week. I have talked to my other GI about Remicade and he did not want to put me back on it so I got a new GI now and I have an appointment coming up after the move so I'm definitely going to ask him about it and see because I definitely do not want to go through another round of Steroids I'm tired of that and I get sick again after I stop taking them and I don't want to depend on them the side effects are horrible. I hope you do start to feel better on Remicade so you can continue on your TTC journey and hopefully get some good news soon after! I will post again after I get situated and after I talk to my GI and my GYN so hopefully I get some good news somewhere down the road too. Take care and stay well!

Have you tried any thing to help with conception? Google the Fertilview! Its a neat little device that is non invasive quick and has allowed me to nail down my exact ovulation day. Its worked for lots and lots of women! Good luck :)
Hi Sarahnarizona

Do you have any more info on where I could find this Fertilview? When I Google nothing much comes up. I have never heard of this and would love to know my ovulation day... my cycles are crazy and i'm not when I should be trying for babies.

Thanks
Mara

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share a website where they have all sorts of fertility products and pregnancy test and ovulation test bundles at good prices I use this site and I am also signed up for their newsletter to get coupons and know of sales and new products so I just wanted to share this with you and I hope it helps in everyone's TTC journey. Take care everyone!
The website is: www.early-pregnancy-tests.com

Hi all, I am new to this and looking for any similar experience? My husband is on azathioprine and have seen the information out there on the possibility of it causing birth defects when men take it at the time of conception. The research all seems really non conclusive and contradictory but seems like a big decision to make to take the risk especially when it doesn't say the severity of defects. Has anyone got any good or bad experiences of children conceived when their other half was on azathioprine? I have already had one miscarriage when he wasn't on this and am apprehensive as some studies also say this may be as high as 50% of pregnancies?

Thanks

Hey ladies, (and maybe some gents)

A friend and I just created a SECRET group on facebook for TTC baby #1 ! We know how hard TTC can be and think it might be nice to go through it with first timers. Get information on natural remedies, and tracking!

*** With this being a PRIVATE group none of your FB Family/Friends will be able to see you in it. Only you and the other members know that it exists.***

To get added, do one of the following:

Add me on Facebook: Lindsay Percy

Email me: red.head.chick6938@gmail.com

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/lindsay.lorraine

Thanks Ladies and Gents!

Lindsay

I'm new to this forum but would like to congratulate David & his wife!!!! P.S. David- I also have lymphocytic colitis and recently got over C.Diff in May....looks like we have some things in common.

My hubby and I have two wonderful children. 5 yr old daughter and 1.5 yr old son. Getting preg with #1 was easy. With #2 I was flaring with colitis but didn't know what was going on (hadn't been Dx'd yet). It took us 5-6 mos to conceive my son. Pre-Seed Fertility Lubricant aided us in our 2nd conception. I tell any and all friends TTC about it, read the reviews. I do not work for the company, I just gained a son with help from the product. :)

Best wishes to all TTC!!!

Hello, I am new to this group, and new having a seton insitu.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on ttc with a seton.
Thanks. A.

Hi ive had a panprocolectomy in 2010 and would like to start trying for a baby next year, has anyone else had this type of surgery and become pregnant, ive had a mri scan which shows my womb has tilted backwards because of the space left after my colon was removed.

The doctors have said there shouldnt be a problem concieving but i could jot have a natural birth, would have to be a planned c section

Hi San_30, welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 1995. I've had a couple of bowel resections before I had a total proctocolectomy in 2003 and have a permanent Ileostomy. I had it moved to the left side in 2005 and had it revised twice and a hernia fixed before having it moved back to the right side in 2010. I've been in remission and my husband and I have been trying to conceive on and off for 3 years now with no luck at all. I had some pain on my lower abdomen which I of course attributed to the Crohn's and was put on pain meds for a while now and I wanted to get off of them a couple of times but had to get back on them as the pain got to be pretty bad at times and a few weeks ago the pain was so intense I was in tears and my husband took me to the ER and they took a CT scan and found I have a mass on each ovary about 10 Cm and my womb is actually pushed back and to the left as well since I have no colon and had an empty space there too so I as well will need a C section. Right now I'm seeing 2 surgeons to prepare for surgery 1 is a Gynecologic Oncologist on the masses and a general surgeon in case there is anything they see that needs to be repaired with my bowel while they have me open so I won't need another surgery down the road as I have a very high risk of complications and surgery and they want to be prepared for what they might find. I'm hoping the masses turn out to be benign so I won't need chemotherapy after surgery. I am happy that the Dr did not rush in to do surgery without thinking of my history and my risks. I'm hoping they can at least be able to leave 1 ovary so I may get the chance to try and conceive once I'm given the ok again. I'm at home on bed rest and pain medicine while waiting for the surgery date to be set I have an appointment on September 25th to speak with the Gynecologic Oncologist again which I saw him last week then I saw the general surgeon on Monday so hopefully we set the date soon so I know what is going to happen because I have no idea what I'm waking up to after surgery. They told me I shouldn't have problems conceiving either but I'm guessing the masses is what kept me from conceiving since I was in remission I didn't need any X-rays so we didn't know they were there and we don't know how long they were there for either but after surgery depending on what happens I will get tests done to make sure anything else isn't wrong that could have kept us from conceiving. Don't give up hope of having a child, all I'm dealing with right now I'm still in the mindset of having a child someday if I can. I am scared I wake up to having no ovaries but I try not to think of that I have enough on my mind as it is. I hope you find someone who can answer your questions. I know it's not similar to what you wrote of but I just wanted to share my story with you. Take care!

Hi all,
I am having surgery to remove masses on both ovaries,I'm hoping they don't have to remove both ovaries but I don't know what I'm going to wake up to. My surgery is scheduled for October 8th. There will be 2 surgeons there, 1 is the Gynecologic Oncologist who will remove the masses and the 2nd is a general surgeon in case they see anything due to my Crohn's disease that will need to be done and possibly get scar tissue removed as well. I will try to post as soon as possible on my progress and let you all know if I will have a chance to TTC again. Take care, and best of luck to all of you TTC I hope you get your BFP's soon and to those of you who have gotten your BFP's congratulations!

I am 30 years old and have had Crohn's Disease since I was 9. I have never truly been in remission, although I've been well controlled on a number of different medications. I have been off methotrexate for 8 months now in an attempt to get pregnant, but my inflammation continues to be high pretty high (as indicated by my bloodwork). I am only on Cimzia now to control the Crohn's and my accompanying joint pain, but I have symptoms every day.

This is my first month actually trying to get pregnant and I took an early pregnancy test that came back negative. In an effort to not get discouraged, can anyone tell me if they were able to conceive with active Crohn's? How long did it take? Is there anything natural I can do to help this process? Thanks for the help!

Hello everyone,

I've just joined this support group, as my husband and I are thinking of having a baby. We just got married in August, and I am currently in a flare. I was told by the IBD nurse in July that I should not try to conceive now, due to the flare. Yesterday I spoke to the IBD doctor at the hospital about feeling worse, and what we should do about it, and he just said: go for it! No discussion there!

We are obviously very happy about the news, but I'm also a bit concerned, as I'm flaring. My blood tests are all fine, it is just my symptoms (lots of blood and mucus and I feel tired all the time) that are not too great. Also my calprotectin levels are fluctuating a lot: 09 Oct: 128, 10 Oct: 799 and 5 Nov: 259. I've had much higher test results before, but I've never seen as much blood as I am at the moment...

Have any of you had your calprotectin levels checked before/during pregnancy? Would you, based on your experience, say that my levels are okay to start trying? :)

What blood tests have you undergone before and during the pregnancy, anything that I should ask for? The IBD doctor will be on leave for two months starting today, so I need to go to my GP who isn't too familiar with Crohns. Have any of you had a colonoscopy just before getting pregnant to find out the exact situation of things, or would that be too pre-cautious? My last colonoscopy was in Jan 2010.

I have Crohns colitis, in several parts of my colon (sigmoid, transversum), but I don't think my ileum is affected, at least it wasn't in 2010. I'm currently on Asacol (Mesalazin) 800mgx6, plus I will start Pred Clysma treatment as soon as I get the prescription in the mail.

Hope to hear from you! :*

Melindar413, how did your surgery go? Hope everything is okay with you, and that you are recovering!

Memmy29, I don't have any experience myself, and I guess I have the same questions as you... From what I've read, it can be difficult to conceive if the Crohns disease is in a flare up... I am not sure exactly why, but I suppose the flare makes us less fertile. Please let us know how things go, I would be very interested in knowing how you get on! =)

Hi Sophia,
Unfortunately my surgery has been put on hold due to issues with my right lung that showed up in the pre-op tests which included a chest x-ray. I had pneumonia about 7 years ago that never really went away but lay pretty much dormant or scarred there but it is active now and I had a lung infection and my lung is partially collapsed all in the right lung. I took a course of antibiotics and they have me taking my temps twice daily to make sure I don't spike a fever and I see the respiratory specialist on January 7th to see if it cleared up if it did then he clears me for the surgery if not I get more tests to see what is going on. They did a Bronchoscopy so they are waiting to see if those biopsies grow anything more so that's why there's such a long wait. I hope it's better when I get my next chest x-ray so I can move forward with this surgery so I know what I'm dealing with as I have no idea what I'm waking up to I just hope I can have a chance to TTC our 1st child. I will update as soon as I know anything more. Thank you so much for thinking of me Sophia I appreciate it :) I hope you are well, take care!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time, Melindar413. :( I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have to fight a lung infection, collapsed lung, Crohns disease, and to not know the outcome of the upcoming surgery. Really hope they take good care of you, and that the antibiotics are doing their job so far. Are you in constant pain?

Get well soon, and please keep us updated on how things are going for you. Will keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery so that you can try to conceive soon! :)

Big hugs!

Hi Sophia,
Thank you so much for the well wishes I appreciate it :). I finished my antibiotics so I hope it's cleared up by now just have to watch my temps it was almost 102.0 the other morning but have gone down since so I'm hoping they stay that way. I'm on pretty much constant bed rest due to the pain, the masses are causing pain which gets worse with much movement so I try to relax as best as I can and they gave me pain meds and I use hot packs to help. I really hope I get cleared so I can get my surgery soon and know what I'm dealing with and hopefully can try to go back to TTC after I heal up. I will definitely keep you all updated on how things are going and when I find out anything else. Thanks again, take care!

How are you doing, Melindar413? Hope you're recovering quickly!

On my end we've just entered the 2ww... I don't have the highest hope, as ovulation can't be timed (lol) for the weekends, when my husband is home (he commutes...), but it's a good feeling to finally be able to give it a shot, anyway! :) Happy days!

Hi Sophia, I'm doing ok I finished my 2nd round of antibiotics and my temps have been good so far. I see the respiratory specialist in January then hopefully I get cleared to finally have the surgery and get the masses taken care of and know exactly what I'm dealing with as I have no idea what I'm waking up to after surgery. I wish you all the best and hope you get your BFP soon. Keep me updated on how you are and I hope to hear you are expecting very soon. The TWW is the worst isn't it, you just wait and symptom check and the waiting is horrible but hopefully you will get your little bundle of joy soon take care!

Hi ladies

My husband and I have been trying for a year now to have our first baby.... nothing as yet :(. I am really frustrated and am going to have a whinge and groan.... You have been warned! haha

My GI gave us the all clear to start a family about this time last year which we were very excited about and wasted no time trying ;) But then I started having erratic periods which I hoped was just from coming off the pill and I let it go on for about 6 months then decided to go to my GP who diagnosed me with PCOS :(( I was so sad and frustrated with my body... I thought having crohns was bad enough and deciding whether or not to try while being on infliximab but to then be told i'm not even ovulating, I was shattered. It felt like such a waste of time this last year. But I wasn't to know any different apparently as I was on the pill for 5 years before hand. I have just been to see a gyno who now seems to think that I don't have PCOS but isn't sure why I am not ovulating.... and he found an abnormality with my uterus; he said it was a subsepated uterus?? Queue EVEN MORE frustration with my body... I have been for blood tests and ultrasounds and go back to him on Wednesday to find out anymore news so I am hoping he knows what is going on with my body.... How can I get past 6 years of crohns and be in remission and be given the all clear to start our family and now I have more waiting and tests and everything? GRRRR

Sorry for the whinge and I know it isn't exactly crohns related but I needed to vent to someone other than my husband because he has heard it ALLLL before! He is the optimistic one and I don't want to bring him down. Even after all of this he is still being my rock and says next year is our year! I hope he is right :)

Mara xx

Baby dust to all

Hi AussieMaraT,
I'm so sorry you are going through so much. I can relate somewhat. I have been in remission from my Crohn's for a little over 3 years now and was given the ok to TTC 3 years ago and we were trying ever since I finally go to try and get answers as to why I haven't fallen pregnant only to find out I have a large cyst on each ovary that need to be surgically removed and could be cancer and I might not get the chance to go back to TTC after it. So I had my surgery scheduled October 8th and had that put on hold due to a partially collapsed lung,pneumonia and lung infection all in my right lung and was put on 2 different rounds of antibiotics so now I don't see the respiratory specialist until January so hopefully I get the ok then to get the surgery and know what I'm dealing with and I'm hoping I wake up to find out I can continue to TTC after I heal up. I hope you get good news back on your tests and I wish you all the best in your TTC journey and baby dust to you as well!

Melindar413, glad you are feeling okay, although it must feel very frustrating to have to wait so much, and not know the outcome. I will keep my fingers crossed for you... Stay strong! You have had to go through so much, which really isn't fair, so hopefully you'll get positive news in January. <3

Welcome to the group, AussieMaraT. Sorry to hear you are having trouble conceiving, and that you've found out you have PCOS (and then maybe not?) in addition to Crohn's disease. Hopefully your gyno will be able to give you some straight answers and solutions that will help you get pregnant... IV-fertilization could maybe be a possibility for you? Really hope it goes well, and keep us updated, it's a bit quiet in this thread! :)

Sophia it is very frustrating and it's taking a toll physically,emotionally and mentally it's really been tough lately I lost weight without trying and I've just been really struggling with sleep. I have been through so much and keep going through more sometimes I feel like I have finally reached my breaking point and I get through more I don't know where I pull the strength from it's amazing what you can deal with and not know it until you have to. I hope I get good news in January also and get a step closer to getting through all this. Thank you so much for your support and your words of encouragement I really appreciate it. I hope you are doing well,take care!

Hi Melindar413,

I have been reading your posts and definitely send you lots of hugs. I thought my troubles were bad, but I can't imagine what you are going through. Its strange how you don't realise just how strong you are until you have to. I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait for tests and appointments. I have my fingers crossed for you that you get the good news you are hoping for next month. A belated Christmas gift!

Sooo, the gyno says that I do indeed have PCOS. All my other hormone levels were ok and my thyroid was ok. But I haven't been ovulating so he suggested we use Clomid. I have no idea about this drug, except it helps/ forces you to ovulate. Hopefully it won't interfere with my Crohns.

AND I have an arcuate uterus. Which from what I can gather is a bit better than a septated one, but still with a much higher risk of miscarriage in the first and second trimesters and as there a a bit less room in there for a baby, the chances are that I will have to have a c-section (which my GI want to happen anyway) and possibly at 37 weeks as that baby wont be able to turn and be very cramped etc. When they thought I had a septated uterus they were thinking I would have to have surgery to remove the extra muscle thing but as I don't have that, I don't have to have surgery!!! That was a major thing to me that I am relieved that I don't have to have it.

All in all, it was good news I guess, I was just hoping for better... Hoping that I didn't have PCOS, but I guess not having to have surgery is a bonus!

x

Hi AussieMaraT,
Thank you I appreciate it. Clomid was our next step after getting the blood work and semen analysis done but when I had my appointment to get the paperwork to get those tests done I had just found out I needed surgery so they postponed the testing just in case I can't go back to TTC again. I will need a c-section also as my uterus is pushed back and tilted to the left. I hope the Clomid works for you and you get your BFP soon. Good luck with everything, take care!

My wife has Crohn's and we haven't prevented for years. We never made any appointments with a fertility clinic. I was in the military and I, frankly, didn't trust most of those doctors. Now I'm out and we don't have any health coverage after 2 more months.

I get really upset with people when they suggest we have kids. They don't understand and act like we are trying not to have kids. We're in our early 30s and have been married for 7 years. People just expect us to have kids. It makes friendships harder, because couples without kids live differently than couples with kids. We have fewer and fewer friends we can connect with.

I've had active Crohns for about 21 years now. I'm 30 and trying to conceive. I'm currently on Uceris, Entocort and Cimzia. I'm bleeding (vaginally, heavy spotting) between periods, making it difficult to track my usually very regular cycles. I read it's a side effect of Uceris and Entocort.

Anyone else experiencing interperiod bleeding on these meds? Anyone successfully conceive on them? Thanks in advance.

Hi memmy sorry I can't be of any help but wanted to let you know someone had read your post.
I am currently on entocort and cimzia and since stopping contraceptive pill in December I haven't had a period. It's so frustrating as I know that when I come back off the steroids I am highly likely going to be sick again. Sometime you just want your body to manage to do something right. I really hope things settle down for you soon x

Hi ladies! Hope you don't mind if I join? :)

Here is my backstory:

DH (33) and I (29) have been married 7 years and we have done all the "right" things to prepare to TTC. Finished college, good careers, bought a house, paid off debt, saved money...etc. Not that all of that matters at the end of the day, but we had a checklist and waited for a long time to TTC. I got pregnant on the first try in late August 2013 and the pregnancy sadly ended 10/11/2013 due to a blighted ovum. We waited the doctor recommended 2 months and then decided to wait until after the new year to start TTC again (in case it happened again around the holidays..that would be a bummer). I did not get pregnant the first cycle and by the 2nd cycle I had concerns.

Back in 2010 I had an abscess that was drained by my PCP. Since then I have had issues on and off and around early March, I decided I should probably get it checked out. I went to the colon/rectal surgeon and she confirmed a fistula in ano. I am having surgery on 3/28 to put a seton in place and then 2-3 months from now, I will have a fistulotomy or a LIFT to complete the repair. So this puts our TTC plans on hold until late summer and I am really bummed. After the miscarriage and now this, I feel like we are never going to get to start. We have waited so long and now we are finally ready and we can't move forward. I know a few months does not seem like much, but not knowing what the future holds (especially with my history) scares me.

I have not yet received a Crohn's or IBD diagnosis, just the fistula issue, but I am concerned I may be somewhere in that camp based on symptoms and it is just not "official" yet. I also have PCOS. This has been an uphill battle and it seems the battle continues.

I just hope that I can have my surgeries quickly, recover quickly and be able to move forward with starting a family ASAP.

Hugs to each of you, I know how tough these hurdles can be. :ghug:

Hi Everyone!

I have to tell someone and you guys are perfect! I got my BFP on the 22nd March!!! I am a big ball of nervous excitement. This is our first ever BFP after trying for 14 months. I think I am 4w6d pregnant but am having a dating scan on 14th April to confirm. Hubby and I have decided not to tell anyone until I start to show as I am nervous about a miscarriage from the Crohns (although I have been in remission for more than 5 years thanks to infliximab infusions every two months) and I also have PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) and don't want everyone to know if that happens... but I am hoping and praying for a sticky baby and safe and healthy pregnancy, baby and me!!!

:D :D :D

hi everyone thanks for sharing all your stories and big hugs to you aussiemaraT! I underwent a full panproctocolectomy surgery in 2011 when I was 21, I had my colon, rectum everything removed and permanent ileostomy bag, was a last resort for me. I came off contraception prior to the surgery and have not been back on the pill since, I worry about my fertility and i'm currently being investigated for endometriosis, im hoping the surgery has not caused any scar tissue around fallopian tubes etc which apparently can happen to about 50% of people who have this surgery. have stopped ttc for now as I have recently booked my wedding for 2016 and just started humira to close a fistula on my stoma, ive never felt healthier but worry constantly about whether or not we'll be able to have a baby. I've yet to meet or even hear about someone who has had the same surgery as me and also been pregnant :(

Hi everyone. Me and my husband have been TTC for 10 months now. We've been on prenatal pills for the same amount of time and so far nothing. We've also tried ovulation tests but we get mixed results, one test says i'm ovulating all the time while the other one says we are not. Has anyone else received these results? I'm worried my medication and vitamins are messing it up. Any suggestions on something else to try?

Diagnosed- August 2009
Medication- Azathioprine 150 mg
Vitamins- Prenatal Pills and Caltrate

Jenninmn- sounds like what I'm going through. Some ovulation kits can't pick up your lh surge if you have low levels (common and not an issue). I'd try the Clearblue fertility monitor. It detects two different hormones and I'm having better luck with it. I worry about my meds messing things up too. I've been ttc for 7 months and found out I ovulate much later than I thought. Don't stress, try the monitor, and good luck.

Memmy29- Clearblue was the ovulation test where i was ovulating 5 days in a row and first response said no for like 15 to 20 days. I quit taking the first response near the end because it was bumming me out. I'm going to try the ovulation calander next and see what that tells me. Are you taking any exta vitamins to try to get pregnant? Good luck with you too!

Thanks. I was actually referring to the "monitor" instead of the ovulation sticks. It's a little electronic monitor that reads sticks and detects estrogen and lh, instead of Lh alone. I never had luck with the cheap sticks or the smiley face ones. I did a month of Clomid and definitely ovulated then, but I haven't been able to confirm if I ovulate on my own. I'm hoping the monitor will tell me (halfway thru first month using it). I have regular cycles and a good egg reserve, but I worry that the Entocort may be affecting my hormones.

Thanks for telling me about it, i had no idea it existed! I'll have to try it next month. I just got my period again and it sounds like you start it at the beginning of your period? It's a little spendy but if it works it would be so worth it. I'm just worried about the optimal time to test. How do you wake up and not pee for an hour or so?

For the monitor you test with morning urine- no need to wait. Much easier than the opks in my opinion. I agree- definitely worth the $ if it can tell me what the best days are! Currently the monitor has given me 5 "high" days, no peak yet. I've read this is very common the first month as it gets to know you. I'll keep you updated! Good luck!

Hi there,

I am new to this site and am looking for some help understanding. I couldn't figure out how to create my own question forum, so if this isn't allowed here I'm sorry and I would appreciate someone explaining to me how I can do this. My partner has crohn's and we are having trouble conceiving. We have been trying for 10 months now with no luck. I have heard that crohn's disease can lower a male's sperm count. Unfortunately my partner and I seem to be at odds over this. He refuses to get checked out. We both want kids, and sometimes he says he will make a doctors appointment, but never actually does. Every month when I find out it didn't happen, I'm crushed. It's getting to the point where I don't even believe him any more when he says he will. I understand that men can be sensitive to any fertility issues, but I honestly don't know what to say anymore. I was hoping that if there are any other males on this site who are going through the same thing, that maybe they could give me some insight as to why he is just closing up on something we both want. Also, if anyone else has overcome this issue -how did you do it? Is there anything else we could try that isn't a doctors? Different vitamins, something, anything?

Thank you in advance.

Warmly,

Baker Girl

Hi there, I'm a wife of a man that has colitis and we had problems to begin with but luckily my husband was fairly open to having sperm analysis as he knew how desperate I was....I would say tho that he found the whole thing very stressful he felt it was his fault that we weren't getting pregnant and had a tremendous guilt....Maybe this is why he is being so reluctant. Also with my husband I found some reluctance came from the fact that it was more medical intervention when he was already having so much done to him!

I had my husband taking zinc daily to boost his sperm count and following a healthy diet. We got pregnant and I'm now 7months along.

Other things....does he smoke? Drink alcohol? Overweight? Or exercise loads?

Apparently if men exercise a lot this gives out a hormone that affects sperm count?!

Also I found I had to pretend I was 'chilled out' about the whole getting pregnant thing as as soon as I put pressure on him he would put the blockers up! I was the opposite of chilled out but became good at acting!

Really hope you achieve your pregnancy soon!

Memmy29-
How did the fertility monitor work for you? I'm 27 days in and I only had high fertility days no peak. I'm hoping this is because the monitor is not use to me yet. The pamplet that was included said it you had more than 19 high days it's likely you will not be pregnant. I'm hoping it's wrong. :)

Thanks Sarah, I will try the zinc too. Another person suggested FertilAid to us. So I've purchased some of that as well. I am very happy to report that my partner has FINALLY booked an appointment to get checked out!!! It will take time to get the referral and tests done but at least the ball is rolling now right :) I have an appointment to get checked out too next month, so hopefully we'll have more answers soon.

Memmy29, I hadn't heard of that before, but then again I'm still learning about ovulation cycles and peaks. I will have to look into it some more, thank you for the heads up! I wish you the best of luck getting pregnant!!

Hi everybody!

Firstly, I just want to wish good luck and send positive thoughts to everyone trying to conceive.

I'm posting because my husband and I are talking about trying to conceive in the near future. I have pretty severe crown's disease. I nearly died less than a year ago. I've tried and failed all drugs approved in Canada, and I'm now in a clinical trial that is definitely helping. We obviously can't conceive until the trial has been done for a while, but I'm interested to know what I'm in for. Does pregnancy generally cause, or worsen flares? Are there any birth defects or abnormalities prevalent with babies whose mothers have Crohn's? Any info would be great!

As the disease is all throughout my bowel, I haven't elected for any surgery yet, and I haven't needed emergency surgery thankfully, so I don't have a stoma. But if that does become my reality, is it possible to become pregnant with a colostomy bag?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and answer any of my questions.

Sorry you haven't had a reply sooner I have tryed to switch myself off recently from the TTC thing as it got a bit intense.
There is no way of telling if you will stay well or if pregnancy will cause a flare and I have read people having different experiences with each pregnancy. I know that being in remission is the best chance of staying healthy through out. I have been unable to get truly in remission but this is the healthiest I am going to be so we are trying.
There are no birth defects or abnormalities more prevalent in babies of mothers with Crohn's disease that I have read about. Your dr may recommend a higher dose of folic acid to start taking before trying to concieve and during as we can have a problem with absorption.
It is still possible of becoming pregnant with an ostomy but any abdominal surgery may have an impact on fertility. Also if you have an ostomy they would recommend a c-section.
I have been told I would need to have a c-section even though I don't have an ostomy because of the location of my disease, the Drs think it would cause me more complications having a vaginal delivery vs c-section.
I hope this helps you and that you are able to stay well after you finish your trial and you can go on to have a healthy happy family x

hi, just wanted to give a little update... i am now 19 wks 4 days pregnant found out yesterday were avin a girl and all looks well on the scan :) i am on infliximab and azathioprine, my crohns has never been better since bein pregnant, but everyones different... good luck to everyone whos tryin :) xx

That's fantastic news Nicola I am so glad you and baby are doing really well. Have you started shopping for girly things yet? I would love to have a little girl and know so many names that I like but for a boy I would be stuck lol.

@Jenninm It took three cycles before I got a peak reading, and even then I was on Clomid when I did. As far as I know, it's normal for it to take a couple of cycles for it to get to know you and your levels. Don't worry, it'll happen.

I'm starting IUI this cycle (today is day 1). Has anyone tried IUI or had any luck with it? I'm wondering if all the messing around near the cervix might cause some Crohn's flaring...

It took me two cycles before I had a peak day. So far no baby. I bought some pre-seed for this cycles peak day. It's suppose to help the sperms swim better to the egg. I'm hoping this will help. I find it hard to get into sex when you have to get it on certain days. Wishing you luck on your IUI treatment. :)

@jenn thanks so much. Of course as soon as my cycle starts up again and we're getting ready for the treatment I start a bad crohns flare. Kind of freaking out. I'm glad you got your peak. The pre seed will definitely help!

Went for my first IUI three days ago. I'm flaring bad today though. Makes me think it definitely won't work. This is all so overwhelming. My doctor tells me "this is as good as we can get you without MTX", but I feel like with all my inflammation it'll never happen. I need some good news. Anyone having luck??

Nothing really to report here we are still trying but with no luck yet. I have been struggling mentally but I am starting to feel a bit better now. I have been flaring too and have lost around 16lbs but the weight loss has stopped now and I am holding out but it does make you feel like it's never going to happen. Memmy you tried ovulation sticks didn't you? How did you get on with them? I don't seem to be having any joy with them I get a line but it's not dark enough to be anything just don't know if I am testing at the wrong times.
Keeping everything crossed that the IUI is successful.

Thanks for the support Kaleigh! Yeah, my crohns is very active too but the weight loss has stopped. The only time I've gotten a positive is when I'm taking Clomid or Femara to ovulate. It makes me think the crohns is making me not ovulate...

I found out that if you take Entocort for an extended period that you can have corticosteroid side effects. I think that may have kept me from ovulating too. Who knows. My fertility monitor actually missed my surge this month for IUI, but I caught it with the cheap ones. I hope you catch it soon.

No news here either. Not in a flare and still on aza.

Been trying for 10 months and used clear blue digital ovulation test for last 3 months. I find it is easier to use. Not only it gives a clear yes or no to which is ur best ovulation day, it gives 2 good days leading up to the best 2 days to conceive. I found it hard to look at the lines on other tests..

Saying that, still no luck. Currently on my two week wait so will know at end of next week. Some low tummy twinges but telling myself its psychosomatic!

Ugh. Got my period today. I guess this means the first IUI did not work, and my cycle was extremely short. I'm worried something else is wrong hormone wise, or my disease is not letting it happen for me. I'm so stressed.

We have only been trying 9 months but its hard having patience especially waiting to see if "it" turns up. I am currently waiting I am sure it's going to be here in a few days broken out in a few spots and sore back.
Did you have to have any screening before IUI memmy? I am giving it 12 months then if no joy may go to the Drs and ask for a blood test to check hormones.